Thread: Xeon Vs i7

Default Cannot decide Xeon Vs i7 - What do you think

Hi All,

I am new to the forum; I have been reading some of your posts, it has made very interesting reading. I have not found a post on the Xeon Vs i7 and I have done a number of searches, have read some interesting stuff though. Nothing is really tackling the issue from my perspective

I am an Ex PC system builder and it is the first time I am tackling the issues of video editing for a long while. I am a little out of date and unable to make on the fly decisions; that I used to make. I am building a Video Editing PC, with a direction that possibly and most probable not meet your requirements.

I plan to use Adobe Premiere CS3; I might upgrade to CS4 at some point. I know that this isn’t a professional broadcast grade setup, more like your wedding videographer.
    I am not even a professional or semi pro for that matter I am wanting a setup that will serve me well; let’s say a semi pro capacity. I want stability within the platform and I don’t mind waiting for render (its not as if am in a professional hurry).
    But rendering on the fly might be an issue and is something I don’t have experience with, as yet. Oh forgot to mentioned that I want to allow for editing in HD as well, at the moment I don't have a need.

I believe the root to a good system is a great motherboard balanced with the CPU and Memory. Remember that the memory is expandable and the processor you always can pop in a new one at a later date (providing the board can take it). Over the years with my PC’s I just upgraded and relegated them. So a system is how you flow, do you want to upgrade or run it into the ground. I like flexibility, with the knowledge that technology changes (FAST). I believe that getting the motherboard, cpu and memory right is most fundamental part of the system, as mentioned before. Every thing else is secondary.

One factor; video editing machines have been closely linked with gaming PC’s, just for the raw power aspect. Which leads me into the video card debate (hey that’s fun! on here lol). I know the gaming side very well, but coming from a video editing standpoint, I am unsure. As I don’t have the kit; I used to have to make tests, so I have to rely on popular opinion. So here I have a question; how much does video editing rely on the processing power of the Video Card (GPU) and could be related to the software I am using. I have read that a basic card will do, and from my view point at the moment I agree. So opinions and suggestion of cards would be great, 2x please one to get me going, and one I should put in, in 6 months time (Budget restrictions at moment -get the core machine right first).

Now that you know the direction I am in, the system doesn’t have to be cracking and state of the art; has to be functional though. Below I have put 2 partial systems together; I am on a low budget; as most people and its for meee!

OK, back to the thread Xeon Vs i7 what would you choose with a limited budget and with the background I have explained.

I like the Xeon; because of the 12MB L2 cache, those geeky people out there will know why. The i7 has 8MB L2 cache. Logic dictates that the Xeon through put will be faster then the i7 given that the GHz speeds are the same. The Xeon doesn’t have hyper-threading technology where as the i7 does. And really that is where the debate is ‘HT Technology’

OK system one: Xeon:

2X - Intel Xeon X3360 Quad Core CPU
    2.83GHz 12288KB (L2 Cache) (L3 Cache) Bus Speed - 1333MHz Socket - LGA775 Package - 775-pin LGA Technology - 45nm Bus/Core Ratio - 8.5 Voltage Core - 0.962V-1.237V Thermal Guideline - 95W Thermal Spec - 71°C Form Factor – CPU

Motherboard:

Intel S5000VSASATAR Server Board Dual Core Xeon

Supported Processors - Intel Xeon processors based on 45nm technology
    Socket - LGA771/Socket 771
    Maximum Bus Speed - 1333MHz
    RAID Supported - Yes RAID 0, 1, 10 with optional AXXRAKSW5 for RAID 5
    SATA Supported - Yes Intel 6321ESB SATA Controller
    IDE/EIDE Supported - Yes
    VGA Port - 1
    Graphics Adaptor - Yes 16MB DDR SDRAM
    Maximum Memory - 16GB 533/667MHz DDR2 (ECC)
    Memory Slot - 8 x DIMMSlots

Memory: 4GB High End DDR2 667 MHz Server Grade to start with, will upgrade later.

System Two: i7 Intel Core i7-920 D0 Stepping CPU (nice one to overclock, ooh naughty)

Processor - Intel Core i7 ( 920) 2.66GHz 4.80 GT/s 8192KB (L3 Cache) Package - LGA1366 Architecture - 64-bit Technology - 45nm Core Stepping - D0 Bus/Core Ratio - 20 Voltage Core - 0.80V - 1.375V Thermal Guideline - 130W Form Factor - CPU

Motherboard:-
    Asus Rampage II Extreme ATX i7 Motherboard
    Intel Socket 1366, 6.4GTs QPI
    Intel X58 Chipset, SLi and Crossfire Support
    Up To 24GB of 1066/1333MHz DDR3 Memory
    x3 PCI-e x16, x1 PCI-e x1, and x1 PCI Slot
    x6 USB 2.0 Ports, x7 SATA II Ports, RAID
    7.1 X-Fi Sound Card, 10/100/1000 Ethernet

Memory: 4GB High End 1333MHz DDR3 Matched Pairs to start with, will upgrade later (If things were equal, better performance in banks of threes)

Thanks Tim (read below) for making me think of others viewing

That’s the 2 partial systems which I have my eye on, lots of pro’s and cons. As you can see the memory speed is a lot slower on the Xeon system then the i7. The i7 because of the HT technology and the comment I am about to make is what I have read so far (you might know different). With the use of HT the processor is seen by the OS as 8 cores. Sorry I cannot provide the link as I have forgotten the reference site. Oh let me check Intel’s site (horses mouth) this is talking about threads and I think this is open to interpretation, feel free to comment.

Intel Core i7 Processor

And granted there is a slight (haha, MMmm) difference in processor speeds, this is what I can get my hands on today. I can build these systems for more or less the same amount of money. But I feel that I am getting more bang for my buck with the i7 with the newer technology. The Xeon however I would feel more secure and have the feeling of a more stable machine. So here I am debating which to go for, as I have no experience in video editing. Perhaps you more seasoned pro’s can lift a little light on the subject and show me how you feel given my requirements. That’s it, OH could some of you pro’s tell me what you were using two years ago.

Cheers
    Zandebar

Last edited by zandebar; 08-12-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Blog Entries

Failing to answer any of your specific questions :

You should be aware that the chipset for the i7 supports DDR3 RAM which is designed to work in banks of THREE, not matched pairs. So 6GB is a likely starting point.

The Xeon makes sense if you can make use of the facility to add a SECOND processor which may well be a good future upgrade.

Your suggestion of replacing the CPU further down the line is something I only associate with real geeks who feel a need to upgrade at every opportunity. In my experience a system used seriously (ie for running applications rather than benchmarks) will give perfectly adequate performance for two to three years (maybe a RAM increase and/or additional storage, but no need for a performance increase). After that amount of time a CPU replacement if available is not likely to produce a worthwhile improvement compared to what's around. Take my own GigaByte 665P-DQ6 purchased for both reliability and the ability to run the best available Intel processors 2 and a half years ago. I paired that with a Core2 Duo 6600 and very nice it is too. A couple of months ago, considering a wipe & reinstall (we all know how much Windows benefits from that every year or so) I looked at getting a Core 2 Quad. NOTHING currently manufactured is supported.

No, realistically in an environment where a PC is a tool, a CPU upgrade really means a CPU + mobo upgrade (and quite probably RAM too)

Personally I'm in to stability rather than tweaking, and so even if my mobo is designed to be tweaked for speed and the processor is also thus designed, I run my chips at specification rates.

I should really lean toward the Xeon option, but in your shoes I think I'd be asking the same question "What will I lose in giving up all that new cutting edge stuff?" Heart says i7. Head says Xeon.

Video Cards. Most NLE packages do not make any use of the GPU so a basic graphics card will generally do. However you mention Premiere and I do believe that it makes use of the GPU for a few SPECIFIC graphics cards. Check with the Adobe website.

Key with me is a quiet system, so I look for fanless this that and the other wherever possible, prefering to rely on one or two 120cm slow turning case fans. (Again running chips well within their limitations aids this no end).

I've been running 3 Samsung 400GB Spinpoint drives and they've been virtually silent, though one has developed a worrying click for a few minutes at startup - accompanies by "hard drive controller error" messages in the event log.

It appears that the Samsung Spinpoint F1 range are the ones to go for now, using the same quiet technology. The best performer (according to PC Pro) is the 750GB version, though the 1TB drives aren't fat behind and are certainly tempting.

As a former system builder, you'll also be aware that we can spend weeks or months agonising over every little detail, but two weeks after it's built it's all irrelevant. It's just another PC and what matters is it does what it's told, reliably.

Keep us informed. I'd love to hear your thoughts and decisions and indeed your opinion of the machine you eventually build.
    Tim

Hi Tim

Thankyou for your reply LOL Your not much good are you hehehehe LOL

"Heart says i7. Head says Xeon" Are you trying to make me suffer even more lol

Anyway; I am aware of how DDR3 works and I don't know how you reached your conclusion.
    On that mainboard; I can have this configuration with the dimms config 2,3,4,6 (Check manual)

What gets me is the 3 dimm config, that mentality; just doesn't compute.......hehehe well heyso!

Yes you are quite right with the Xeon, I was putting in dual quad cores in that configuration,
    Oopps I forgot to mention it. I didn't realise until you pointed it out; OOOpppsss.

I used to own a computer shop; Tim does that make me a GEEK? I hope the used to will downgrade
    my status Please! Please! But sadly my computer sides are never on lolol. I have two loves in my
    life Computers and Photography and I have been lucky I have worked professionally in both.
    Computers came second, to photography I just love been creative and I suppose these days best of
    both worlds.

Well I plan to replace the CPU to the current extreme version when that drops in price. So give
    it 18/24months then I plan to take the motherboard up as high as it will go. Then build a cheap
    desktop to replace my other pc which will need changing by then, with the old i7. As I always
    have tons of bits kicking around. Its just weighing things up and finding that balance for me.
    Your right when you say its the 'trio' to replace CPU,MB,MEM - Caution should be said, when you
    do that and you need speed; is not to create a bottle neck within the system.

"Your suggestion of replacing the CPU further down the line is something I only associate with
    real geeks who feel a need to upgrade at every opportunity. In my experience a system used
    seriously (ie for running applications rather than benchmarks) will give perfectly adequate
    performance for two to three years (maybe a RAM increase and/or additional storage, but no need
    for a performance increase). After that amount of time a CPU replacement if available is not
    likely to produce a worthwhile improvement compared to what's around."

I tend to agree with you there; just that in that time you might decide to upgrade the software
    your using. You know how resource hungry these upgrades can be. So providing you don't change a
    thing then yes will work fine till 'RIP', Electronics are so fickle though and that’s another
    debate lolol.

Your Intel P965+ ICH8R chipset

1. Supports Intel® Core™2 Extreme Quad-Core / Core™2 Duo processor
    2. First Quad BIOS solution for Multiple protection
    3. Supports new generation Microsoft operation system Windows VISTA
    4. Industry's first All-Solid capacitor motherboard design
    5. Unique 0dB cooling design with Crazy Cool and Silent-Pipe
    6. Quad Triple phase power design for ultimate system stability
    7. Dual PCI-E graphics interface for extreme gaming performance (ATI CrossFire supported)
    8. Supports high performance Dual Channel DDR2 800 memory
    9. Features SATA 3Gb/s with Quad eSATA 2 interface
    10. Home theater quality 8-channel High Definition Audio
    11. Supports both Dolby and DTS high quality audio functions.
    12. Optimized PCI-E Gigabit LAN and IEEE 1394 connection
    13. Ready for next generation Quad Core processor

Nice board by the way (Btw)

The video card I have in mind is a 4890 ATI Radeon Graphic Card, not going to push the boat out too much. The card config is a bit high for editing I feel. I still haven't found out if I can off-load some of the cpu processing power to the GPU. And thanks for that tip, I will check adobe website to find out more.

"Key with me is a quiet system, so I look for fanless this that and the other wherever possible"

LOL, on the hard disk front don't go for Maxtor or Western Digital the lolol (Scrape, scrape)

Am opting for water cooling, you may want to consider that option. Just keep a gentle movement of air moving around inside. This may make your system even quieter, I have fans on my HD's so I have a bit of a fan club with my system. I think with this system, I might do what you do and make it quiet. So I will look at the pro's and con's with that, I quite like the water cooling and you can pickup a system for around £60, some are cheaper, am going mid range. You also mentioned you, cleaned and reinstalled, a quick tip if you haven’t already done so. Keep window on it own partition/drive, make a clone of that partition/drive, make backup partition/drive stick it there and hide it. While you are playing with drives stick a backup copy on another HD, now you can get back up an running in 15mins from a crash or slow system. This must be done really at the same time as the system clean. Saved me so much time, I then just do updates. Am sure you know all this anyway, might be the sucking egg thing going on hehehe.

"As a former system builder, you'll also be aware that we can spend weeks or months agonising over every little detail, but two weeks after it's built it's all irrelevant. It's just another PC and what matters is it does what it's told, reliably."

Yes, you’re quite right; it does just end up as another PC - A good one at that lol. You'll be surprised what configs are about ripping off the customer, with some scary compilation of hardware. A well thought out system is a good system, for intended use of design. LOL I like the does what its told bit, Really on an MS system Come on!!! lol hehehe

I have decided to go the i7 route in CPU, I reach this conclusion as am not a pro, if I was then it would have been the Xeon.

When I was working out the bus speeds and flow of information around the system, I was unhappy with the DDR2 667 speed of memory on the server board. I did have an extra L2 cache of 16mb, was very attractive but given the work of video editing been very singular in tasks, and the Xeon is a server processor. I felt that I possibility have ramped it up too much given the bus speeds. I don't have any systems to perform tests on, if I did I might have a different view. If it was higher speed mem, I probably would have gone for the Xeon; just because I can. DDR2 is old technology (with that you know where you stand) give it a year, be thing of the past.

So looking at the i7; its like having 8 cores, with say 4mb of L2 cache, comparing that to the Xeon of 12mb. This has a couple of factors though, the thru put on i7 is a lot quicker, thru the processor, dimms (DDR3) @ 1333. I figured, given the brief I had given myself and been so contradictive, I thought stick to the brief best I can. The whole system at the end of the day, I felt wasn't much in it, Xeon granted would be more robust. Functional was my key aspect, but the newer technology won me over. Saying that I still think it will be a kicking system

I have change the motherboard to:

P6T Deluxe V2
    intel centrino2
    New Era for Extreme Overclocking! The Best Intel® Core™ i7 Platform

* Intel LGA1366 Platform
    * Intel®X58 chipset
    * Triple-channel DDR3 2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 Memory
    * True16+2 phase Power Design
    * ASUS TurboV
    * ASUS EPU
    * ASUS Express Gate SSD
    * SLI and CrosFireX on Demand
    * 100% High-quality Japan-made Conductive Polymer Capacitors!
    VRM 5000hrs lifespan @105°C, 500,000hrs @65°C

Its a great board and thought the intended use on the other motherboard was a bit high so went for this instead.

"Personally I'm in to stability rather than tweaking, and so even if my mobo is designed to be tweaked for speed and the processor is also thus designed, I run my chips at specification rates."

The i7 920 is @ 2.66 speed I feel that Hi Def won't be a problem with it, been a quad. But I plan to over clock the cpu just a tad to 3ghz ish. Am not usually a fan of over clocking, because of the heat/voltage issue. It's perfectly safe to over clock a cpu, when it is done right. You have to understand how a CPU is designed and made, Take the i7 920, inside It's the same as the i7 Extreme. Just that Intel restricts the processor to a set of speeds in its range. To add to this; Intel grades each processor; some processors don't perform to the desired Extreme speeds. Which get badge up low, or they do meet the extreme speeds and get badge up low anyway. It's the luck of the draw in which you get. There are tolerances where you are safe to over clock your cpu. I prefer to measure the true internal speed of the processor, and configure it from there. This method is far the safest and problem free, but I still don't advocate it for warranty purposes.

I will keep you updated to the config,

OH!!

"I've been running 3 Samsung 400GB Spinpoint drives and they've been virtually silent, though one has developed a worrying click for a few minutes at startup - accompanies by "hard drive controller error" messages in the event log."

Looks like you are developing a possible HD problem, I would take any important data off it. I would buy a new HD, also check to see if its still in warrenty some HD manufactures have 3-5 years warrenty, I think samung is 3yrs. When it crashes send it to me, am pretty good at data recovery.
    But don't let it get that far, one day it will stop working if it keeps doing it.

If it does crash on you let me know, I have a few suggestion you could try first to get your data off the drive. But PLEASE solve the issue before.

All the best
    Last edited by zandebar; 08-07-2009 at 03:21 AM.

Re Posted Link as opened another thread.......
    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/perfect...ding-plug.html

Whilst Looking at the gpu I came across this write up, interesting. Once I have qualified the information and looked at this technology, this might send me down the Nvidia route. <looking into>

Elemental Announces Next Generation CUDA GPU-Accelerated Video Encoding Plug-In For Creative Professionals
    Elemental™ Accelerator Breaks the Video Processing Bottleneck Using NVIDIA® Quadro® GPUs; More Video Editors Than Ever Can Use the Product Thanks to Expanded NVIDIA Quadro Lineup, Mac Version

Full write up here
    Streamingmedia.com: Elemental Announces Next Generation CUDA GPU-Accelerated Video Encoding Plug-In For Creative Professionals

Company mentioned in write up: Elemental Accelerator, Video Processing for Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS4.

Accelerator | ELEMENTAL TECHNOLOGIES

I think I will make a new post with this in as is wondering way from thread topic.
    Last edited by zandebar; 08-07-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zandebar View Post
    Anyway; I am aware of how DDR3 works and I don't know how you reached your conclusion.
    On that mainboard; I can have this configuration with the dimms config 2,3,4,6 (Check manual)

What gets me is the 3 dimm config, that mentality; just doesn't compute.......hehehe well heyso!
    My conclusion, that DDR3 is designed to work in banks of three, is based on the fact that it has triple channel architecture which gives a better bandwidth than dual channel. As I understand it (and I'm quite prepared to be corrected) you only get the benefits of triple channel architecture by putting in matched sets of 3dimms, that's why.

That's why the Crucial site ONLY recommends 3 x 2GB or 3 x 1GB for the both the Rampage and the P6T (nice board BTW).

I used to own a computer shop; Tim does that make me a GEEK?
    Not at all ...

But sadly my computer sides are never on lolol.
    .... but that does

I've been in the PC business since 1988 (after 10 years programming mainframes) and whilst I try very hard not to get too geeky, it's very difficult when deigning your own next system.

Anyway, thanks for your concerns about my hard drive. All my crucial stuff is backed up very frequently. As the disk in question is part of a RAID 0 striped set I'm sort of trying to avoid buying one big disk to back up the whole array and a replacement 400GB to reconstruct the existing array, when I might well be blowing away the whole system come October.

(Actually, I think the Samsungs come with a 3 year warranty and that's not up yet - may give it a go)

OTOH The Iomega eSATA 1TB drive reviewed in this months (read "October's") PC Pro is looking very tempting.

I'm delighted you're a few months ahead of me in your system replacement. I'll be delighted to hear how it progresses and any tips (and pitfalls) you pick up along the way.
    Tim

Wink

Hi Tim;

Thank You for pointing this out,

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You should be aware that the chipset for the i7 supports DDR3 RAM which is designed to work in banks of THREE, not matched pairs. So 6GB is a likely starting point.

I replied to this with:

Then you replied back saying:

My conclusion, that DDR3 is designed to work in banks of three, is based on the fact that it has triple channel architecture which gives a better bandwidth than dual channel. As I understand it (and I'm quite prepared to be corrected) you only get the benefits of triple channel architecture by putting in matched sets of 3dimms, that's why.

Its clear that we are looking at this from two different view points, your saying for best performance use DDR3 in a matched trio. Your quite right, the performance is better in three's, I wasn't disagreeing with you there. However DDR3 on some motherboards can be used in pairs. I was referring to this motherboard; Asus P6T Deluxe V2 which can use DDR3 dimms in matched pairs, drawback reduced performance. Compared to a matched triple set, some reviews say dual is faster, but other say triple is faster. I tend to agree with the latter, there are some great reviews which makes interesting reading and makes you bog eyed lol.

First have a look at this motherboard manual:
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support- download_item_mkt

Its on section 2.4 page 2-12

After reading the manual; I expect we are now on the same page, with a view point of the motherboard not how DDR3 should be used.

Here's an interesting write up

intel core i7 single vs dual vs three channel memory smt on vs smt off

Also: if you haven't scene it already, a review on DDR3 on Toms Hardware.

Core i7 Memory Scaling: From DDR3-800 to DDR3-1600 : Which RAM Speed Is Best For Core i7? - Review Tom's Hardware

That's why the Crucial site ONLY recommends 3 x 2GB or 3 x 1GB for the both the Rampage and the P6T (nice board BTW).
    Crucial are probably recommending to use a triple sets for the performance increase, (and sell more memory - lol ) so they don't look bad lol

I used the 4gb memory to even the config up, you were quite right to pick me up on the DDR3 memory BTW.

At this stage I haven't decided how much memory I am putting in my system, like you suggest 6gb sounds great @ 1333.

Interestingly enough you can slow your system down by putting too much memory in, this is because each and every memory allocation needs to be addressed. Your probably aware of this from your mainframe days, what language did you program BTW.

Am glad you have a solution in place regarding your hard drive.
    Last edited by zandebar; 08-11-2009 at 01:09 AM.

Blog Entries

Its clear that we are looking at this from two different view points,
    We were both saying the same thing - you were clearly aware DDR3 is designed to work in threes and I was (after reading the specs for your board) aware you didn't have to have them in threes. I hadn't misinterpreted you and I wasn't trying to contradict.

My only reason for stating the banks of three business was to make others who may come to this thread aware they are designed for it as you hadn't.
    I'll check out the links you posted when I'm in a geeky mood again.

Interestingly enough you can slow your system down by putting too much memory in, this is because each and every memory allocation needs to be addressed. Your probably aware of this from your mainframe days, what language did you program BTW.
    That is interesting and I wasn't aware of it.

COBOL, IBM System 360/370 assembler, a hierachical database called RAMIS and ORACLE.
    Tim

LOl, its one of the unsaid things lol, I wasn't sure if you were aware that the DDR3 could be used in pairs.

Good point in making others aware of the performance issues BTW. I was aware that you weren't trying to contradict, you were just being helpful. Just that to me; when I read the post, it looked like you were saying these could only be placed in three's.
    Hence why I said 'I don't know how you reached your conclusion', and I was hinting to read the MB manual.

As I said before I used the 4gb memory in the i7 just to balance the config up, so you had 2 machines almost the same, without loading it up too much. So you can compare the systems. Saying that; I didn't even put the motherboard in the Xeon, which is an important factor, together with the number of CPU's. I have corrected that now, as it was a big mistake doing that and this was the board I was thinking about. Now that am thinking about it, am saying bad things to myself for not doing it, in the first place ooopps.

Well its all cleared up now on that little misunderstanding, and it was getting all too geeky, lol

COBOL, IBM System 360/370 assembler, a hierachical database called RAMIS and ORACLE.

Cool, COBOL (Common Business Oriented Language) not now it ain't lolol,
    Wow you must have been hot property with the banks; banks were struggling getting COBOL programmers.
    Most programmers moved onto C/C++ and web based technologies as the web became more popular.
    Last edited by zandebar; 08-12-2009 at 09:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Wow you must have been hot property with the banks; banks were struggling getting COBOL programmers.
    Yeah, I really should have cleaned up in the three years leading to the turn of the century. Indeed most of the 10 year I spent as a programmed was supporting live systems (ie debugging & fixing errors in other people's code that HAD to be fixed overnight or product wouldn't get to the depots or warehouses or customers). So I was well suited to finding potential "Millennium bugs".

By then I'd left mainframes behind for a good while and had just started to get a customer base in my own recently started business and abandoning that to make a quick buck wasn't a risk I was prepared to take.
    Tim

So I was well suited to finding potential "Millennium bugs".

LOL Oh the Millennium Bug, I won't go into that (be thankful lol)

What got me was; some people stopping buying PC's around this time about a 6 month period Sept 99 - March 2000 ish. Then they preceded to buy the same kit they would of bought in that period. Thinking that they wouldn’t have any issues once in the millennium lol funny really.