Thread: Hello everyone! New to the forum.

Default Hello everyone! New to the forum.

Hello fellow wedding videographers/cinematographers! To keep it short and sweet, My name is Tom and I am recent college grad/business starter. Getting into the wedding filming business, and would like some feedback on my first two free weddings I've done. I respect your opinions, thats why I am asking for it.

Two clips under video gallery.

http://www.mytimelessmoment.com

Appreciate your time and comments.

-Tom

Hi Tom

Welcome to the forums!!!

For some personal reason I don't like ultra short clips that fade to black but I guess that's the way you Cinematic guys do it!! It just makes it hard to sorta analyze and footage because it's gone before you can appreciate it. That's NOT any critique of your great footage it's just my point of view!!

Nice flow of events but I have to ask one question!! Are you using a stedicam on some shots cos if you are there is an awful amount of bounce in the pan shots especially with the B&G in the garden if you watch the top of the frame carefully. If it is a stedicam pan then your arm springs are way too tight...if I'm wrong and you are doing handheld or using a frame, you need to watch a particular point and try and keep it in the same position in the frame while you do your shot. Watch the bit when you go past the B&G in the garden!

Great footage otherwise (If we just say great footage without commenting on something then videographers think that we didn't really watch the clip!!)
    I do like your angles and composition and the focus shift was great (if only it was a few seconds longer so it could be appreciated)

Oh, last thing first....very impressive title sequence!!! IT looks very professional !!!

Chris

Hi Tom - I'll be brutal. It's your 1st, but it's poor. I'll try to be helpful as well as damning though.
    Try watching with no sound and you'll see the real problems and not be lulled into the "great music = great video" scam.

Your camera work and editing is clumsy. i.e.
    Crash zooms "Oh, they're gonna kiss" Got it! - Yes, at every wedding there's a kiss. If you're distracted and miss the 'kiss the bride' stay put. It's wide, but it's 100 times better than the lurch shot.
    Panning, tilting is very wobbly. Practise hand held if you must, but a steadicam/tripod pulls these off precisely.

Cutting or fading from any scene rarely works mid pan. Either finish the pan/tilt or film straight.
    You have an eye for the pull focus, but not the steady hand that makes it work well.

Nice website and intro graphics - store bought?
    If you truly created these yourself, you have a future in graphic/web design, but a very long way to go in video production.

Once you're aware of what does and doesn't work, you have something to aim for.
    Keep at it, it's not brain surgery and no-one dies when you get it wrong.

Hope this helps.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

I couldn't get the videos to play on my computer but your website looks fit my friend.

First impressions count and if a prospective customer surfs through your pages it certainly makes you look like you know your stuff.

Hi Zero

Excellent points you have made. A stern critique is very valuable as long as you made some suggestions and you did exactly that!! It's useless telling someone "Your video was pathetic" It's much better to say "This is where you went wrong and this is how I suggest you correct the problem"

Tom, Zero has tons of experience and his comments are worth taking seriously!!

BTW Starkie????? The website is flash based so maybe update your Adobe Flash Player and it will all work fine. I had no problem with the site at all!!

Chris

Hey Softweigh and Zero. Thanks for the time to give feedback. I totally agree with all your points. My rig for the first wedding was a glidecam4000 with shotgun mic and wireless receiver mounted. Didn't even use a tripod that whole day, and you can imagine how heavy it was. Zero, i agree that the zoom on the kiss seems cheesy. Probably wont do that again.

Since the first wedding i've purchased a 2nd camera, glidecam vest, and manfrotto tripod. So these should help.

Zero, you make an interesting point about graphic/web design. The entire site and the opening animation is all done by myself. That is actually my other business, which is video production/graphics. I figure it wouldn't hurt to have both during these harder times.

-no more midpan fades
    -no crash zoom
    -try for longer scenes before transitions
    -smoother shots

CHECK.

Keeping that in mind for my next gig in December. Thanks again, and hopefully up hill from here on.

Good to see you can take it on the chin Tom. It's the only way to learn.

Another crib, but the dancing shots seem to be on auto white balance - skin tones changing and it's not the disco kid.
    Always lock yer white balance for the lighting where you're filming.

Also when panning/tilting try to start/finish with a few seconds of rock solid stillness. It's far easier to dissolve/cut from solid camerawork than a wobble. You've cut just when an earthquake was a coming!
    Best of luck on your next one.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club