Thread: Cant import .avi files into Sony Vegas 7.0

Default Cant import .avi files into Sony Vegas 7.0

Hello,

my name is Tarogasini and i have been having major problems with importing .avi files to Sony Vegas. I am using CamStudio 2.5 and recording codec Xvid MPEG-4.

The problem :

♣ I cant import .avi files to Sony Vegas 7.0
    ♣ I cant import it in Sony Vegas 9.0 or Corel VideoStudio 12 as well
    ♣ 15 or 16 methods that would fix the problem, have failed so far

What i have tried :

♣ I have been Googling a lot
    ♣ I have even read the following topic, found on your forum : http://www.videoforums.co.uk/sony-ve...vegas-6-a.html
    ♣ I have installed K-Lite Mega Codec pack and it didn't work
    ♣ I have tried converting to other formats. Vegas recognized the newly converted file into .wmv as corrupted, .mov was bad quality and .mp4 wasnt recognized at all, like it doesn't even exist in the "Explorer".
    ♣ I have been changing recording codec. I tried with CamStudio Lossless, MSU, Divx and Xfire Video. For some of them, Vegas actually allowed me to import the file, no matter the .avi format, but when i rendered them, they were either corrupted files or completely blank.
    ♣ I have imported my recorded .avi ( which i recorded with Xvid MPEG-4 ) to Windows Movie Maker, which surprisingly had no problems at all accepting it. Then i rendered it as .wmv and the quality wasn't that bad, sadly it squizzed the video a little, so the completely round logo ( my logo ) was looking like an egg... Which isn't good at all.
    ♣ I have tried with Morgan Multimedia JPEG Codec as suggested in "your" topic. Didnt work.
    ♣ I have tried other recorders ( Webinaria 2.1 and Extra Screen Capture Pro )
    ♣ When i was able to get a quality recording, and actually import it to Vegas, i have tried rendering it under different formats as well, such as .mp4 and MPEG2.
    ♣ I have asked on Yahoo Answers ( and got no reply )
    ♣ I have asked Dillon Pearce, some guy who makes tutorials on Vegas. No reply.
    ♣ I asked on some local computer forum, they tried to helped, but everything they suggested didn't work.

My conclusions :

♣ I have been thinking if Vegas 7.0 is the problem perhaps. So i tried with Vegas 9.0 and Corel VideoStudio 12 and the problem was still there.
    ♣ Surprisingly i can import any .avi file to WMM. As you may agree, WMM is not appropriate video editor.
    ♣ I have been thinking if the problem is my entire system. So i have tried the same on virtual system, set up by Vmware, using same boot disk. The problem was still there.
    ♣ Surprisingly : when i changed recording codec to "Microsoft Video 1", i could imported that file to Vegas ( tho it was still .avi ). I could even rendered it, but the quality with that codec is absolutely terrible and thus not acceptable.

Basic information :

♣ I am using Windows XP Professional 32-bit with SP3
    ♣ Video editing program is Sony Vegas 7.0
    ♣ Screen recorder is CamStudio 2.5
    ♣ Output format that causes trouble is .avi
    ♣ Primary codec i am recording with is Xvid MPEG-4, but the problem occurs with other codecs as well
    ♣ I am recording on 1440 x 900 resolution, if that plays any role

Why i require it for :

My goals are noble. I have a lot of experience and practice with computers, programs, tricks... I have decided to share this knowledge with other people and so far i have been sharing it in text form. Video form would only result in more precise demonstration, faster sharing and sharing with more people.

I would appreciate all suggestions, and i will also accept & try all ideas to resolve this problem. By the way, if you know for a codec that produces good quality but enormous files, fire away . Storage isn't a problem, i have 1 TB of empty storage reserved only for video recording.

If you know what the solution is, please, tell me.

Hope i am not stealing your time,

Best Regards
    Last edited by Tarogasini; 08-02-2009 at 06:50 PM.

I have 2 thoughts:

1] You have so many CODECS they are all vying for position to work with this file.

2] Download G-Spot and have it analyse exactly what CODEC is needed.

At the end of the day an AVI is a wrapper/envelope for what is stuffed into it. To say Vegas this or that doesn't read AVIs is meaningless - it is what is inside the AVI that Vegas, and the codecs that are part of Vegas awareness that is making Vegas choke.

Get G-Spot and analyse what you have. You would appear to have more than enough codecs for Vegas.

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

No, i don't think that's case, after each unsuccessful attempt, i kept on reverting the changes with System Restore.

I already did that, must have forgotten to mention it. Let me do it again and post a picture... I have inserted the .avi file that originally caused problems.

Regards

Please, any other ideas ?

Perhaps, if possible, could i upload my file somewhere so you can test it on your video editor ? That way we could eliminate some factors for example... The file is only 1,14 MB in size and 1,12 minute in length.

Any other ideas :(

The number of unsuccessful solutions went up to 27 yesterday, i could really use your advice

Guys don't be too offended but i got to tell you, your knowledge kinda sucks, specially because you ARE running video editing forums, forums dedicated to video editing, making movies...

I have asked this same question on a local computer forum, they don't even have an area dedicated to video editing/making and yet they have suggested me 10 or more possible solutions, kept on trying until we have finally sorted it out.

For all the rest who will have problems :

Use BB FlashBack for screen recording. Export the recording in .wmv, then import it to Sony Vegas ( it will accept it immediately ), and render it as .wmv again. That way the file will be high quality, small and you can upload it to Youtube, as i did.

You can close this topic now.

Regards

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tarogasini View Post
    Guys don't be too offended but i got to tell you, your knowledge kinda sucks, specially because you ARE running video editing forums, forums dedicated to video editing, making movies...
    "We" (the admin and the moderators - I presume that is who you mean by "Guys") are as you correctly state running a forum. We are not running a support service. It is purely a medium upon which people can discuss all things video.

If people here don't know the answer to your particular problem, then they won't post it.
    (Which is surely better than 100 replies saying "I don't know" or 50 solutions that are totally misguided)

So why should any of us feel offended?

Quote Originally Posted by Tarogasini View Post

I have asked this same question on a local computer forum, they don't even have an area dedicated to video editing/making and yet they have suggested me 10 or more possible solutions, kept on trying until we have finally sorted it out.
    I myself could have posted 10 possible solutions. All of which I know wouldn't have worked.

Quite apart from all that the solution you have quoted did not solve the problem you posted here.

You asked here how to get your .avi files read in Vegas.
    The solution you posted didn't touch your .avi files

Perhaps it's you who's at fault for asking the wrong question?

Nevermind. You can have a full refund. No, better than that, you can have double your money back.
    Tim

Well i actually meant the whole community, not just staff I know you aren't running a support forum, but still, i d expect you are very experienced in all Vegas problems and solutions, since you are dealing with it on daily basis...

Yes, that is correct. It is a solution however :P

Perhaps, sometimes it is better to post some of your ideas that might help, or ideas that worked for some other people... Not getting any reply at all, kinda makes you feel like nobody cares :(

I am not looking for argument here, i am sure this forum/community is great, i don't have anything towards you, i just kinda expected you d know the solution :P

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Regards

Blog Entries

Not an argument at all. No offence taken nor intended. Just stating a position countering the your assertion that our knowledge "kinda sucks" and pointing out that, to our knowledge, no-one has actually solved the problem you posed.

In all seriousness, if anyone had got any ideas how to fix your problem they would have posted them. Most people here are much more inclined to help someone who takes the trouble to post such a detailed description as you did.

If you had been of a different disposition and posted the same request for help and someone answered by suggesting starting with a different screen capture program, that may well have met with a response from you along the lines of "I've told you I'm trying to use footage captured with Camtasia, I know I could use a different screen capture program, why don't you answer the question I asked?"

And I suppose I honestly could have answered "Vegas notoriously has trouble with DivX/XviD" but it was clear you'd done your homework and all I'd have been doing was telling you something you already knew. (The thread you linked to virtually says as much)

Do you understand the dillemma of how to best to attempt to help people? Especially how to help those who are new to the forum and thus unknown personalities.

it may also be worth noting that whilst there are many competent Vegas people here, we (if I may be allowed the liberty of incuding myself as competent) tend to work with stuff we've filmed ourselves, so the format of stuff we're importing is dv-avi, AVCHD or HDV. We tend NOT to work with footage which has already been converted to a delivery format such as DivX/XviD. This may help explain why people weren't queuing up with answers or possible solutions.
    Tim