Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rendering 25 or 30

Default Rendering 25 or 30

Being an old film dog, It was ALWAYS normal practice to shoot on 25fps to be compatible with the British 50 cyle TV standards system.
    When I shoot HD at 25 and render at 25 and upload to Youtube I notice a slight jerky movement when viewing. Is this an effect of (PAL NTSC incompatibility???)

Does anyone know if it would be cured by rendering at 30 fps for the USA NTSC system. If so I'm assuming it should be shot on 30 also to keep everything in check..

YouTube uses whatever framerate the video was uploaded with, even if it's something weird like 19fps. It has a maximum of 30p, and it deinterlaces ALL interlaced footage, effectively halving the motion data if it's interlaced. The way YT deinterlaces results in merged frames, so this could be what you're seeing as jerkiness.

Try deinterlacing the video first by interpolation. Even though you're still halving the motion (and a tiny bit of resolution) it looks a lot better than the fields being merged.

Unless your computer can't play HD YouTube videos smoothly. How do others look?

Sorry Matthew you've lost me.I'm not at that level yet with video.
    De-interlacing by interpolation??
    I set up my vegas with a (progressive) render believing this would counter any interlacing screen effects.
    I don't want to pretend to know what you guys are talking about...I'm just picking through the bones, trying to makesome sense of it .

In answer to your question I've only ever used HD since getting back to video so cannot make any comparisons.

Ohhh, you're using progressive video? Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed you were using interlaced footage.

I'm not sure what could be wrong, YouTube doesn't really have set standards, especially when it comes to frame rates.

Do non-HD 25p videos look alright?

Hi Matt,
    The first time out with my XHA1s I shot footage unaware that I was using SD instead of HD. The quality was good but well below HD

Hmm, interesting. Try watching some other HD YouTube videos and see if your computer can handle the playback at smooth rates (YouTube HD playback is more demanding than local HD playback).

Looking at HD on YTand finding playpack in perfect quality.
    It has to be some silly setting I have that needs checked/unchecked.

Can you give me an idea of what the differences are shoting in 25 50 60 mode??? Would you think that may have an effect??

Any chance you could post an example of the jerkiness?

Shooting in 25p is your best bet for youtube, though 30p (if you have the option) would provide more motion, so it depends on the ‘look’ you’re going for. Never render a 25p project out as 30p for YT though.

Morning Matt, How are you today?

I was in the process of sending a sample of jerkiness however,... just discovered that the places that were affected by this yesterday no longer jerk, other parts do though

I think it may be something as simple as the CPU on the computer. Ummmmm interesting!!!

Have a look Matt and let me know what you think.

Morning.

That video looked splendid all the way through for me, so it must have been that your CPU couldn't keep up. Maybe another application was using some of its processing power as you were watching it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast