Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can my burner be the reason my vcds cannot be read? (dvd)

Default Can my burner be the reason my vcds cannot be read? (dvd)

I, like many other users, have the problem that I got a big-name dvd player and its fussy with VCDS. I've used so many different programs and I'm almost sure I'm doing it right, but my DVD player will not read it.
    ( I have a SONY SLV-D910AZ )

Although I'm almost sure. I use TEMPGnc to convert my .avi to MPEG-1 in the correct format (PAL) and then use VCDEasy to burn them. They work when I put them on the computer using CS Cliprex, and I'll test the VCDS on a normal standalone DVD player which isn't big-name.

So if I am in fact burning them correctly, and my DVD is just very fussy, I need to make it read my VCDS.
    Is it possible using a different burner (possibly a slower one) would make my dvd player read the VCDS? Or using any other burner?

Has anyone found that their burners are the problem? ( I have a SONY CD-RW CRX216E - burns 4x RW and 48x )

Cheers, matty

Apologies if this topic has already come up, I didn't notice it.

This is almost certainly down to the disks you are using. Which disk brand are you using? Also just make sure your DVD player can read VCD's (I've never know one that can't but just make certain).

Finally, I have a big name DVD player which is the fussiest of all the DVD players I try my disks in. I think though that this is because it's an upright DVD player and that blank DVD's (or CD's) are just slightly heavier and thicker than normal retail ones.
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Thanks LJR.

Yes my DVD player should read VCDs, well at least it claims to, and this site backs that up.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers....arch&#comments

I have tried this with a Verbatim CD-RW (that could be dead from overuse) and Verbatim CD-R : 700mb 48x - Super Azo

I read that the Verbatims were good for VCDs, but I'd be glad for you to tell me that they aren't.

So what would you suggest? Trial and error?

Cheers, matty

Actually Verbatims are pretty good and should do the job, but I would not use -RW's. I would recommend -R's. Try a Verbatim CD-R and see what you get.
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Yeh I've tried with Verbatim CD-R : 700mb 48x - Super Azo and it doesn't work.

If they are supposed to work, could it be that my DVD player is just to fussy for my burner? Or am I doing something wrong in the programming?

matty

I don't think there is anything wrong with the way you are creating the disk. You could try recording it on the slowest speed and see if that makes a difference. Failing that then unless others have any suggestions I guess it's just not going to happen for that player.
    Lloyd

arrghhh!!! don't say that.
    My brother got this one from an auction so there is no turning back. I'll try it again following a guide I found, it suggests doing things slightly differently. Get back to you soon.

matty

ok, didn't work.
    I was wondering if anyone knows a way to find the excact compliance list required for a specific player (the settings that is)??

PLEASE!!!

cheers matty

Blog Entries

Try burning at a lower speed. Also try on a mate's DVD player...

...and check the template you are using is correct. What is the error code on the DVD player?

thanks marc peters,
    I can only burn as low as 4x, which i think is about as low as any of the burners i might have access to go.
    Error code says "Player cannot read disc, please check disc."

In the manual it says this,
    "... following formats:
    - music CD format
    - video CD format
    - MP3 or JPEG format that conforms to ISO9660* Level 1/Level 2, or its extended format, Joliet."

It then goes on to say,
    ".. some CD-Rs/CD-RWs cannot be played on this player due to the recording quality or physical condition of the disc, or the characteristics of the recording device."

In the first point, I'm pretty sure I'm doing it all right. But I still have no way to prove it. What I do is use TMPEGnc to convert an .avi into a mpeg-1 then use VCDEasy to write that as a .bin/.cue image file which I then burn to a cd. There are a few more things I do in the converting.

The second point I believe is my problem. I'm pretty sure the recording quality of the disc is not the problem (Vertabim CD-R 48x - super Azo), I think it is the characteristic of the recording device. But I also, have no way to find this out.

My plan is to,
    1. Try my current technique, with different cds.
    2. Try my current technique, with different burners.
    3. Look for more guide and try more software to make it work.
    4. Steal this cheap Sonwa DVD player from Go-Lo. (cheap players rule).

If anyone has any advice at all, especially concering the Sony SONY SLV-D910AZ or the Sony CD-RW CRX216E please reply. Even if its to say that you have burnt a workable VCD with the burner or got something to work with the player, please. I do know for a fact that someone else on this forum has had the same problem, but alas, she has not posted for ages and her last post was that she succeded in burnings some stills and getting the player to read them, but she said nothing else. Is there a way to get her email from this forum???

cheers, matty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast