Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really silly question

Default Really silly question

This is probably a really silly question. Look as I have I cannot find the method of voting for videos.
    Its probably under my nose.
    Can someone put me right.
    Thanks

if you look at the top of the screen you'll see it says rate this thread.. Im not sure if that what you're talking about.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Sorry Will, I didn't explain myself very well.
    I'm looking for the means of being able to vote on video entries. Is this something that can be done by us lowly members or is it something only for senior or moderators perhaps.

Blog Entries

Hi Alan, I'm guessing you mean on the Video of the Month (VOTM).

What happens here is that the site admin puts up a shortlist for a months worth then opens a poll which we can all vote on.

The idea of having a shortlist is that there's more chance of people watching a selectrion of 5 films than the 30-40 or so that might be posted each month.

However, this suffers from two problems.
    1. It relies on Marc being around to set it up each month (he's been on holiday recently)
    2. Deciding which films make the shortlist has proved a bit tricky. The recent attempt to base it on those films with highly rated threads (rating of threads as Wil describes above) didn't really work and so it's currently up in the air. Personally I think the previous totally biased method whereby a few select moderators was perfectly acceptable (and not only because the three films I've posted here got nominated And please not this was BEFORE I was invited to be a mod)

What's more, as you have no doubt seen, very few people have taken the trouble to vote and this disappointing turn out at the polls is a real disincentive to those putting in the effort to set it up.

I'm absolutely delighted you want to vote and I'm only sure this will help prompt Marc to get another poll going.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Ah, do you mean the "Video of the month"?

What happens is the moderators pick out a handful of the best vids and then anyone can vote. It had to be done this way becasue there was a spate of absolutely awful skateboarding/bmx/parcour/street dancing vids which had no artistic or technical abilty but won because all their mates came along and voted.

I haven't been paying attention and it may be that the "VOTM" has been a bit quiet due to lack of interest recently.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Ah, do you mean the "Video of the month"?
    Beat you. Nah, nah, ne, nah, nah.
    Tim

Thats exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you for the explanation Tim.
    Many moons ago for many many years I used to be involved with the Ten Best Amateur Films Competition that was run and sponsored by the Movie Maker magazine. This was edited by the long departed Tony Rose and Ivan Watson.
    There were hundreds of entries from all over the world every year. The Gold Star and some of the ten top films were absolutely amasing by any standards.
    With the demise of film and the eventual death of the magazine there has been little to replace the theatre for individuals and clubs to present and exhibit their film/videos.....Sorry I ramble on!
    I'm delighted to find that the videoforums seem to be heading in a similar direction.

Blog Entries

The IAC used to run the "Guernsey Lily" or summat similar which was a cool amateur festival. I dunno if it's still going on.

"Camcorder User" and "Digital Video" used to run a 60 second competition until their demise, which had some really excellent entries.

Videoforums used to run a summer competition... hmmm it's not too late to get one up and running this year.

The Institute of Amateur Cinematographers no longer exists I believe.
    It died while waiting for video editing technology to become sophisticated enough for it to replace the demise of film. It took a long time but now video exceeds by far the editing possibilities that film offered.

I remember Ivan watson (Uncle Ivan the film Guru) in the early eighties stating that video editing for the masses wouldn't be available until 2010. He wasn't far off was he.

It would be great if Videoforums started competitions...Roll on!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    The Institute of Amateur Cinematographers no longer exists I believe.
    The IAC certainly does exist (it keeps the initials but calls itself the Film & Video Institute)

The Guernsey Lily is going strong as well

Indeed Fingercuff Productions of this parish picked up the following awards in this year's festival

Commitment - Very Highly Commended
    Edge - Very highly Commended
    Tentboy - Highly Commended

And my own "A Day Out in Mallorca" picked up a Highly Commended

(We've already exchanged congratulations, but the Gaffer's post gave me the perfect excuse to go public)
    Last edited by TimStannard; 08-01-2009 at 08:22 PM. Reason: I blinked and a name had changed!
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast