Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Canon HG10 users ?

Default Any Canon HG10 users ?

Looking into replacing my Sony HDR-HC3 and was wondering if the Canon HG10 would be a worthy replacement ? Seemingly, Its been around a couple of years though it still compares favourably with newer cams. also, its available within my budget..... soooo, anyone got one/had one/ used one etc ?

ta
    Last edited by enc; 07-31-2009 at 05:48 PM.

I haven't used one, but you could probably get a more up to date camcorder with better spec than what the HG 10 has. It is getting on a bit now it terms of what it offers. Jessops and Currys are doing the Canon HF200 for 599 and you get 50 cashback. I know which one I'd go for if I had a budget of 600.

I have had an HG10 for over a year now and I'm very pleased with it. Anything in particular you'd like to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    I haven't used one, but you could probably get a more up to date camcorder with better spec than what the HG 10 has. It is getting on a bit now it terms of what it offers. Jessops and Currys are doing the Canon HF200 for 599 and you get 50 cashback. I know which one I'd go for if I had a budget of 600.
    My budget doesnt stretch to 600.... the HG10 is available for 480'ish (@ Argos of all places)

Been looking at the HF200 seems you can get it for around 525 with the cash back promotion...... hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by jimikuk View Post
    I have had an HG10 for over a year now and I'm very pleased with it. Anything in particular you'd like to know?

Hi jimikuk, how does it handle panning ? lots of videos i look at on vimeo and youtube look jerky when panning with the camera ....

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Hi jimikuk, how does it handle panning ? lots of videos i look at on vimeo and youtube look jerky when panning with the camera ....
    I used the Canon HG10 for my recent travelogue (Our Big Fat Greek Cruise) and was quit pleased with it. The way to avoid the "jerky" automatic steady-hand circuit is to put the camera into manual. Or, in auto, use a slow, steady pan.

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    quit pleased with it..

no more than quite pleased ?

just tried to find your video but its been removed !

Sadly I haven't done too much of that. I am basically either shooting for Microstock or for some jazz club gigs that I'm involved in. Both of which really require a tripod.

I find that most of todays small cameras are not great when it comes to hand held manoeuvres, purely because of their physical size. Therefore most of my efforts with the HG so far have usually required that I have to stabilise the camera or my arm somehow to get anything usable. However, how much of that is due to my jerky hand movement is hard to determine. When I get a moment I'll attempt a pan with tripod and let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by jimikuk View Post
    Sadly I haven't done too much of that. I am basically either shooting for Microstock or for some jazz club gigs that I'm involved in. Both of which really require a tripod.

I find that most of todays small cameras are not great when it comes to hand held manoeuvres, purely because of their physical size. Therefore most of my efforts with the HG so far have usually required that I have to stabilise the camera or my arm somehow to get anything usable. However, how much of that is due to my jerky hand movement is hard to determine. When I get a moment I'll attempt a pan with tripod and let you know how it goes.

Thanks, jimi.

Blog Entries

no more than quite pleased ?
    My first reaction to Worddigger's Greek thingy was how good the quality was. I commented such. Worddigger commented he was very pleased with it. I know he's an American, but he's working in Kuwait and seems to have acquired a British sense of understatement.

Assume he's very pleased with it.

And in case you overlooked them, heed his words about jerky pans. It's NOT the camera - that will only record whatever's in the frame for however many microseconds the shutter is open - it's a result of leaving image stabilisation ON. Think about it. Image stabilisation attempts to reduce small movements from a shot. A pan is nothing more than a series of short movements - until you continue panning IS has no way of knowing the movement was intentional.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast