Thread: Glad I don't do this for al living...

Default Glad I don't do this for al living...

Was asked to film (video) the wedding of a (distant) family member last year.

Just got around to actually editting it (don't ask, long story involving words like doctors, depression, slump, proffessional help and the likes....)

Cameras locked down for the most part on decent tripods. However, the walking around and candid stuff just leaves plenty to be desired.

I do have a glidecam and the trimmings but being present as 'Uncle Alan' and the timescales involved it's just not practical to be trying to put the harness on and off again at regular intervals.

I think if I was to ask payment I'd have to buy something like a steadicam merlin - small , light and does the job without looking like something off a large movie set. Or maybe for some simple hand-held shots I just need more practice.

So then, some of the shots I would prefer not to use but the 'story' simply needs them. Shame really.

Oh well. At least I'm there as 'Uncle Alan' before being there as the video guy.

Hi Alan

You most definately need to have a passion for doing weddings!! A lot of videographers jump in as it looks like easy money and you usually get dinner too!!!

I commend you for taking it on!! It's also very tough being a guest and the videographer and you are doing essentially two roles!! (I did my neices wedding last year and thought it would be a nice break from my usual commercial weddings but it ended up harder!!)

Often with clients if you DID mess it up you are unlikely to ever see them again BUT with family that doesn't happen!! I try to avoid family weddings if I can but then again it does save you buying the couple a wedding gift!!

A Merlin works well. Yes, I agree it's not easy to start adjusting your main camera whilst in a stedicam suit and trying to keep the sled from knocking you out!!!! I use my stedicam on the photoshoot only in most cases, but a "pick up and go" solution like the Merlin will work well

Hope the edit goes well!!

Chris

Edit seems to be going ok. At the stage now where I have to keep watching the entire show just to make very small tweaks. Not much fun that stage. I'm normally making fiction so having to watch and rewatch a dozen times is not so much a chore then. Fairly happy with it - given the footage I've shot (which was the point of my post).

A few seconds here and there I'd like to trim (extra wobbly movement) but it's a dilemma as those wobbly movemements are part of shots that really need to be there.

Oh well. At least I'm just Uncle Alan who brought his camera rather than someone they are expecting something magical from eh?

Today's thrilling installment.... DVD menu production so at least I get to open After Effects today

Well done Alan. Nice to see you helping out the young guns.
    I find editing wedding videos pure torture.
    Agonising over must have shots and continuity is a painful compromise.

I always have my glamorous assistant (wifey) watch through before I finalise and it's surprising how some simple details are missed through the video version of snow blindness.
    Getting to the final DVD conversion is worth the effort though.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Hey Alan

I'm sure the end result will please the bride!!!

Zero, I have exactly the same "quality control manager" as you. She watches each production from start to finish and then comments about it!!

It's actually good to have someone else give an honest critique about your work and you must admit it keeps you on your toes!!!

Chris

6. Default

Thats what my wife does, and very harsh she is at times.....!
    ...why do weddings always attract at least one TWAT who ask the most obvious questions......SO, YOURE THE DVD MAN THEN....!

I'll add this brief version here cos it;s kind of related/relevant but will start a new thread for any REAL discussion...

Just received notification from work that I'm in the running for redundancy. not certain yet. Proabably about a 1 in 5 chance of getting the heave-ho.

Needless to say I'm thinking about other things and doing some weddings to tide me through any hard times might be an option. So, having said I;m glad it's not my day job, come the new year - it just might be!