Thread: Enhance Audio & Subtitles Old VHS

Unhappy Enhance Audio & Subtitles Old VHS

I have a VHS lecture from my college days that is so unintelligible, sounds like the guy has a mouth full of marbles.

Background noise isn't a problem.

What is the best software to enhance the speech?

I have Pinnacle Studio 12.

Also, if I can enhance the audio enough to understand, is there a program that would allow me to add subtitles, or a transcription of what is being said?

I have read through the threads and have not found an answer to this. I apologize if this was addressed and I missed it.

Thank you much!

You have top od the subtitles manually, you can try equlising the audio, i don't know if there's an inbuilt feature in pinnacle, if not export the audio and use audacity. just enhance the frequencey of the voivce and decreen the vvolume of the others. you may be able to get it better

Thanks so much! That's a start.

Quick question: Did you mean that to add subtitles, I need to listen to the audio and type them in manually? So, in other words, there isn't software that will do this automatically?

Is Audacity good?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shnook View Post
    Thanks so much! That's a start.

Quick question: Did you mean that to add subtitles, I need to listen to the audio and type them in manually? So, in other words, there isn't software that will do this automatically?
    Sure there's software that will take audio and convert it into text. "Dragon Naturally Speaking", "Via Voice" to name just two and the software is improving all the time. However it all requires "training" - it has to learn your voice (usually by reading out some set text) because the way you and I sound when we say "The cat sat on the mat" is very different.

So unless you can record your lecturer speaking the "training" text in the same environment on the same equipment, this option is really a non-starter.

Quote Originally Posted by shnook View Post
    Is Audacity good?
    It's free and very highly rated. Loads of plug ins.
    But don't hope for miracles. If he sounds like he's got a mouth full of marbles, the best you can hope for is he sounds even more like he's got a mouth full of marbles, but clearer
    Tim

Tim,
    Yes, I think I am out of luck on enhancing the audio to really make a difference.

Oh, well. At least it is a slide-lecture with lots of nice paintings and sculptures to look at.

Thanks for taking the time to give your input.