Thread: Text over Video on Movie Studio 9

Default Text over Video on Movie Studio 9

I have just bought Sony MS 9 Plat Pro and cannot seem to get text appearing over the top of video in any format? Please is this possible, if so how?..I am new to editing! Thx

Blog Entries

Of course it's possible. I could tell you how.

But I won't. I'll show you where to find out, because then you'll know where to find out other things you'll need to know.

Help | Interactive Tutorials

Work through them. You'll get to grips with Vegas much quicker (and thus enjoy it more) if you do so. (Or you can skip straight to the one about adding titles, if you want)

Enjoy
    Tim

Tim,
    Been through the add title tutorial but it stops without completing. However cannow add text inmany different ways but cannot get white text. When I change the text colour it goes transpartent rather than white. How do I add white text so it is visibel on a dark video background without it going transparent. I have tried every combination of the colours butcannot get white...very frustrating. Thx for your reply and hope you can help me with this.

Alan

Supply a Screen Grab of what you ARE doing. Sounds like you are adjusting towards the Transparent Range = Alpha Channel. OR you have "muted" the text track.

Default Placing text over scenes

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Of course it's possible. I could tell you how.

But I won't. I'll show you where to find out, because then you'll know where to find out other things you'll need to know.

Help | Interactive Tutorials

Work through them. You'll get to grips with Vegas much quicker (and thus enjoy it more) if you do so. (Or you can skip straight to the one about adding titles, if you want)

Enjoy
    After using Movie Maker Vista for a long time, I was frustrated when I purchased Sony Vega Movie Studio 9 Platinum to find that is very difficult to place text over specific sections of a video.
    I understand the need to read instructions, but as others found out, Sony Vega doesnt have the best tutorial help.
    I found what I assumed it was the way but the window to enter the text is very small and not displaying a complete space to enter text.
    I am still struggling with Sony Vega. In comparison to Movie Maker, I am not a happy camper.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gking View Post
    After using Movie Maker Vista for a long time, I was frustrated when I purchased Sony Vega Movie Studio 9 Platinum to find that is very difficult to place text over specific sections of a video.
    I understand the need to read instructions, but as others found out, Sony Vega doesnt have the best tutorial help.
    I found what I assumed it was the way but the window to enter the text is very small and not displaying a complete space to enter text.
    I am still struggling with Sony Vega. In comparison to Movie Maker, I am not a happy camper.
    I find this extremely surprising. I, along with many others, find the interactive tutorials, on-line help and the manual (worth downloading) particularly detailed and considerably better than most software documentation I've read. I found it a real cinch to learn and I came from Pinnacle Studio which is meant to be one of the easiest NLEs to learn.

However, I do understand that we don't all learn the same way and one man's clear instruction is another man's gobbledygook. Most software of this complexity requires the purchase of at least one book by someone other than the software publishers - it's difficult to recommend one as the one most commonly recommended (Vegas 6/7/8 Editing Workshop by Douglas Spotted Eagle) would probaly not go down well with someone who struggled with the on-line tutorials/help. I'm sure there are others which take a different aproach.

As for the small text window - do you realise you can undock it (grab the verticle dots on the upper left of the window), drag it to where you want and resize it? As indeed you can with all the windows?

This is indeed typical of the workflow. When you want to work on a title, apply an effect, or just about anything, you open up the winow in the middle of your screen (or one of your screens if you're lucky enough to have more than one) work on it there, then either drag it back to one of the docking areas or close it (to open it again you'll find it under the "View" menu)

In fact the whole desktop is about as flexible as you can get for changing workspace layouts. In the Pro version you can even save up to 10 differebt layout all instantly recallable with a keystoke.

But you probably haven't got there yet in your learning curve.

The problem is this is a very flexible piece of software which means there is much to learn from the off. It's impossible to take it all in and there's a fair chance you'll miss the significance of something on the first read.

Windows Movie Maker is, by comparison, very easy to learn. But that's because ther IS much less to learn.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 08-01-2009 at 08:46 PM.
    Tim