Thread: Benchmarking CS4

Default Benchmarking CS4

I am trying to find rendering, editing jobs to test different video cards and hard drive setup for Adobe CS4.

Is there a place where I can download different projects to test how different system setups and be comapred?

Thanks for any help.

Really want to compare apples to apples to see how changes affect computer performance.

Thanks for any feedback, replys and especially links for rendering, editing jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem View Post
    I am trying to find rendering, editing jobs to test different video cards and hard drive setup for Adobe CS4.

Is there a place where I can download different projects to test how different system setups and be comapred?

Thanks for any help.

Really want to compare apples to apples to see how changes affect computer performance.

Thanks for any feedback, replys and especially links for rendering, editing jobs.
    Surely it's easier to just make one yourself isn't it?

Take five mninutes of some of your standard footage (miniDB or HDV or some of both) and apply the types of effects you would normally use. Pile them on thick and throw the result at the render queue. That way, you applied the effects you use regularly and the results will be tuned to your own special needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Surely it's easier to just make one yourself isn't it?

Take five mninutes of some of your standard footage (miniDB or HDV or some of both) and apply the types of effects you would normally use. Pile them on thick and throw the result at the render queue. That way, you applied the effects you use regularly and the results will be tuned to your own special needs.
    Thank you for the reply Alan.

I am a complete noob to video, so please bear with me.

Any affects you could recommend that would really tax your system ?

Trying to see how single hard drive, versus 2 drives (OS/Scratch) 3 drives (OS/Scratch/Virtual Memory) and 4 drives (OS/RAID-0 Scratch/Virtual Memory) affect render times.

Want to build a new system and am trying to put a parts list together that will fly running CS4 Master Suite for video stuff.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Last edited by Hookem; 07-29-2009 at 10:31 AM.

i find that a complex color correction adds and extra half hour to my rendering times. you could also try some simple animation. video jumping around the frame etc. you could also try uncompressed SD and HD footage or something compressed using an complex compression althogram such as divx.

if you want to do hard drive benmchmarking then try making a project that uses a big file.

Was going to suggest colour correction myself. It's not only a render hog but, more importantly, it's likely to represent a real life effect that you'll use regularly - which was my point.

In After Effects make sure you include some particle effects, time wartp and motion blur - that should give it a workout. And render some HD as well as some SD.