Thread: Pinnacle 12 can't handle AVI Type 1, so now what?

Default Pinnacle 12 can't handle AVI Type 1, so now what?

Hi,
    So I have a lot of avi files that were pulled from a FLIP USB video camera that came in video format AVI Type 1. When I try to use these videos in Pinnacle Studio 12 with Vista 64, they crash everytime. Then I found this application called DVDate which converts from AVI 1 to AVI 2. After using that, I was able to get the files into Pinnacle 12... but they sounded horrible! The sound got very tinny and scratchy and unlistenable at moments where my baby was crying. And they dont just sound horrible inside of Pinnacle, they sound horrible in Windows Media Player too. So something is getting lost in the conversion...

I have not found other converters that can read my AVI files and convert them to AVI type 2. I tried one called Canopus but that didn't work. Does anyone have a video converter program they recommend? I am trying the 30 day trial of Movavi Video Converter 8.0, but that couldn't convert AVI1 to AVI2. So I converted from AVI1 to MPEG in that tool.
    I notice this about file size of my 45 second clip:
    AVI1: 10.1 MB
    AVI2: 161 MB
    MPEG: Movavi gives me a choice of quality/file size... 25.1MB = NORMAL, 26.1MB - 50.1 MB = GOOD, 55.6 MB - 99.1 MB = HIGH, and 124 MB and beyond is BEST (goes up to 491 MB)!

My next question is what format do I want to be editing with in Studio? If I can somehow get the quality from the AVI1 to be listenable with the MPEG format, is it good to use MPEG to make videos inside Pinnacle Studio 12? Does the difference in file size mean I won't be able to fit as much on my DVDs? Or does it all equal itself in the end when the movie gets converted into a DVD format? I basically have hundreds of 1 minute clips that I want to put onto a DVD... (Trying to figure out if I just go with MPEG or keep looking for a AVI1 to AVI2 converter that will keep the sound quality)...

If you were editing this video and had about a hundred other clips like it, what would you do? (which format, and if using MPEG, then which file size/quality would use to edit your video in Pinnacle??)

The DVDs I own are DVD+R 4.7GB discs.

Keywords: ( AVI 1, AVI1, AVI2, AVI Type 2, AVIi, AVIii, AVI Type i, AVI Type ii )

Same problem with Pinnacle 11.1. Pinnacle's website doesn't offer a solution, nor does the Help section.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank62 View Post
    Same problem with Pinnacle 11.1. Pinnacle's website doesn't offer a solution, nor does the Help section.
    Yeah, so at this point I think I just invest in a nice video converter program...

avs4you seems to do a nice job.
    AVS Video Converter - a universal AVI to MPEG Converter, AVI to DVD Converter.

Quote Originally Posted by AZWldctFan View Post
    Yeah, so at this point I think I just invest in a nice video converter program...

avs4you seems to do a nice job.
    AVS Video Converter - a universal AVI to MPEG Converter, AVI to DVD Converter.

If you wanna convert to MPEG rather than to AVI2 (did I understand correctly that that is possible?), you might wanna check out the free SUPER converter: SUPER &copy. Did really good jobs for me with other conversions. Let us know of your experiences, if you will.
    Last edited by Frank62; 08-02-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Microsoft is defining two methods of storing DV video data in AVI files, type-1 and type-2.
    The native DV interleaved stream that is produced and consumed in I/O with a DV device contains DV compressed video and pulse code modulated (PCM) audio data. This single interleaved stream can be stored in an AVI file as "ivas" stream (for interleaved video/audio stream). Microsoft refers to this format as a type-1 DV AVI file.
    Interleaved DV data can also be split into a single video stream and one to four audio streams within an AVI file. Microsoft refers to this format of storing DV data as type-2.
    The DirectShow "DV Splitter" filter can be used to split the interleaved DV stream into video and audio streams that can be written into an AVI file, producing a type-2 DV AVI file.