Thread: Toshiba Gigashot K40HE Review

Default Toshiba Gigashot K40HE Review

Right...so this is my first post here so hi!

Anyway, I got this camcorder as I was on a budget, the specs seemed very good for the price. When I got this camera there was a complete lack of reviews/resources so I'd say I took a bit of a risk when purchasing it.

So here's the official specs:

Product Features

• Gigashot K40H

• Product Description: Toshiba Gigashot K40HE - camcorder - hard disc drive
    • Product Type: Camcorder - 720p - Widescreen Video Capture
    • Dimensions (WxDxH): 7.8 cm x 13.5 cm x 7.9 cm
    • Weight: 0.5 kg
    • Media Type: Hard disc drive
    • Hard Drive: Hard disc drive - built-in - 40 GB
    • Effective Sensor Resolution: Still: 0.9 Mpix
    • Shooting Modes: Digital photo mode
    • Focal Length: 6 mm - 60 mm
    • Digital Zoom: 30 x
    • Microphone: Microphone - built-in - stereo
    • Display: LCD display - TFT active matrix - 3" - colour
    • Supported Battery: 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( included )

Technical Details

Main Specifications
    • Product Description: Toshiba Gigashot K40H - camcorder - hard disc drive
    • Product Type: Camcorder - 720p - Widescreen Video Capture
    • Dimensions (WxDxH): 7.8 cm x 13.5 cm x 7.9 cm
    • Hard Drive: Hard disc drive - built-in - 40 GB
    • Effective Sensor Resolution: Still: 0.9 Mpix
    • Microphone: Microphone - built-in - stereo
    • Display: LCD display - TFT active matrix - 3" - colour
    • Supported Battery: 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( included )

Extended Specifications

General

• Width: 7.8 cm
    • Depth: 13.5 cm
    • Height: 7.9 cm
    • Product Type: Camcorder

Display

• Type: LCD display - TFT active matrix - 3" - colour
    • Display Format: 230,000 pixels
    • Display Form Factor: Rotating

Lens System

• Type: Zoom lens - 6 mm - 60 mm
    • Optical Zoom: 10 x
    • Zoom Adjustment: Motorised drive

Main Features

• Colour Support: Colour
    • Optical Sensor Type: CMOS
    • Digital Video Format: H.264
    • Optical Sensor Size: 1/3"
    • Recording Speed: SP, HQ, HQ+

Additional Features

• Digital Still Camera Function: Yes

Microphone

• Type: Microphone - built-in
    • Microphone Operation Mode: Stereo

------------------------------------------------------------------

So in short, it has a 40 gig hard drive and captures HD footage (720p).

Build

So the camera itself is quite bulky (but with a built in hard drive this is to be expected). It looks decent and the build quality is fine. It's slightly on the hefty side, but to be frank it's still perfectly easy to hold. As you'd expect it has a hand strap and theres a little rubber grip on the top of the cam where your fingers go, so this really helps. All the ports are well covered and you get a lens cap that you can tie to the hand strap - no complaints so far.

4/5

Usability
    This camera offers bog standard controls; WB, 10x optical zoom, 30x digital zoom, Mic sensitivity, AF, a light (which is very basic tbh), Contrast & sharpness settings. So basically it offers the bare minimum when it comes to options. Because of this however it's very easy to use. So at this point I would say, if you want a camera that lets you fiddle with all types of settings then this isn't for you. But given the price of the camera you can't really complain.

3/5

Image quality
    Now I'm assesing this based on the fact it's a budget camera. You can't expect the world from something so cheap. The image quality is great considering. You get the HD option, and given the right conditions you get great footage. Audio isn't perfect, and there's no option for an external mic. The audio is still useable however. If you're looking for footage you can use in montages & generally anything that isn't audio specific then this gets the job done - & more. The audio is fine, but you get sound from the focus & zoom, so really it's not ideal. Don't write it off however, if you're doing basic shots, or you're good at sound editing, this shouldn't pose that much of a problem.

As you'd expect from such a camera, indoor footage is dark, grainy and pretty weak. This is the main downside, and if you're looking to film anything with poor lighting then I wouldn't reccomend this. I've read this is typical of Hard drive based camcorders. a video I took indoors with the cameras light on. And this was with the lights in that room turned on. As you can see the results are poor.

Outdoors is where this piece of kit excels. for a video I took outdoors. For a budget camera, in my opinion, this is great. If you're going to film lots of subjects under good/natural lighting & you're on a budget then I'd say you should without a doubt consider this piece of kit.

Indoors - 1.5/5, Outdoors 4/5

Other observations are that the zoom & focus give off a mechanical sound which is typical of budget cameras. As I said earlier, if you're good at sound editing, and don't use the zoom/focus whilst recording a piece with audio, then you should be fine. An example of the sound the zoom makes can be found .

Conclusion
    I paid around 250 for this, and I really can't complain. A 40Gb hard drive and HD recording on a budget is great. The camera isn't perfect, but you can't expect the world when you're on a buget. It produces cracking video results in the right lighting, and as we all know importing footage off an HD based cam is as simple as drag & drop. The file sizes are large when filming in HD format, and you need a decent PC to be able to edit such media as I'm sure you are all well aware.

So if you're on a budget and looking for a cam that can produce some great quality & functionality then look no further. I'm a student so I found this perfect for my price range & work style. As far as battery goes I can't give any solid numbers, but at a guess you get atleast a good hours worth of juice. If anyone is desperate to know exact details I'll run a test

If anyone has any questions then don't hesistate to ask. There's more videos available on youtube just by searching the cameras name (toshiba k40he).

Thanks for reading, any feedback is welcome

Hi Ethos,

Thanks for your really interesting post. I too have this camera and have had it for about 18 months. How successful have you been in editing the footage? I have an ok spec PC but have always struggled to edit this in any mainstream packages (though can play it effortlessly with the software the camera is bundled with, so assume my PC can handle the format ok). Please could you let me know what package you use and what codecs etc you had to import. I'd love to be able to edit all the footage I have, but gave up on this about 6 months ago.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

J

I've used AVID on a Mac Pro/old iMac and the footage worked seemlessly on both. I suppose the main point would be using some software which supports HD footage.