Thread: Our Big Fat Greek Cruise (Part 2)

Default Our Big Fat Greek Cruise (Part 2)

Edit: Parts 1 & 2 have been combined since the original posting.

In the second half of our wacky travelogue we visit ancient Ephesus, the islands of Rhodes, Crete and Santorini.
    Last edited by worddigger; 08-26-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: update

Blog Entries

Better than part one! Not quite as wacky, maybe, and perhaps more of a traditional travelogue but for me it hung together as one piece rather than a number of separate episodes.

Part one had a number of places where I thought some of the shots lingered a bit which, whilst pretty enough (and obviously meaningful memories for you and Billie) weren't quite as interesting as those with commentary. I'd liken this to the difference between going through someone's photo album and being talked through someone's photo album.

Part 2 was definitely better from this point of view. I got the impression that you constructed this the "correct" way - you wrote the script (obviously knowing what footage you had) then selected the shots to match the script.

(As an aside the even more "correct" way of doing things is to write the script, then go and shoot the shots required, but it is a rare luxury to be able to do this on a holiday)

No doubt this was assisted by the fact that there was much more to discuss about the places you visited in part 2. You were able to impart enough information about the locations and their history & mythology to whet the audiences apetite, leaving us wanting to know more (always a good trick in my book). Also much of what you were saying about the bible references and mytology will be part remembered from schooldays by most of the audience - another good trick.

And your voice is the icing on the cake.

This was exactly what a good amateur travelogue should be. Excellent.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Part 2 was definitely better from this point of view. I got the impression that you constructed this the "correct" way - you wrote the script (obviously knowing what footage you had) then selected the shots to match the script.
    Thank you for the encouraging feedback. I used a lot of people's feedback from their views of part 1 to guide the construction of part 2. I'm glad to see that apparently paid off.

The script writing process used was somewhat different. I went through the footage for each portion, made a mental inventory of what I had, then mentally outlined the narration story. Then, as I edited the clips together, I adjusted the text of the narrative to the actual editing and the meter of the music. I also asked myself, "If I was watching this, what would I (as a viewer) expect?"

Consequently, I was more focused on the viewer's need than my own in editing this second part.

Now, if I can just find a way to travel and do this for a living, I'll retire tomorrow. smile.

Very nice piece mate. You've got a great voice for narration

Being half Greek myself I found it very interesting. I'm actually posting from Crete at the moment so it was great to see it included.

I really enjoyed your video. Interesting, well put together and well researched. Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
    Very nice piece mate. You've got a great voice for narration

Being half Greek myself I found it very interesting. I'm actually posting from Crete at the moment so it was great to see it included.

I really enjoyed your video. Interesting, well put together and well researched. Keep up the good work
    Thank you. Create was such a nice island to visit. I'm only sorry I didn't have more time to see more of it.

Yeah that's the thing, there's so many islands to visit and so much to do!

But like I said, it was an enjoyable watch. Good narration always keeps the viewer interested, and I think with a little more work you're onto a winner. I look forward to seeing more from you