Thread: A problem with chroma keying DV, any software that can help?

Default A problem with chroma keying DV, any software that can help?

Im not sure I should've posted this in the software section, because my issue involves my software, my camera, and my greenscreen. I recently set up a greenscreen in my basement, and I did some test film with my Sony handycam, when i put it into my video editor (Pinnacle Studio Plus Version 10) and chromakeyed it, it came out very speckled. Eventually I realized the speckles were dots of differing blues, which didn't key out because it was a green key. I think what's happening is my camera is taking in pixels of varrying lights (like blues) even though I'm filming the GREEN screen. Should I fix this by getting better lighting for my greenscreen? I know that will atleast help somewhat. Or is there some kind of cheap/free software that can somehow blend the background pixels so that the outcome doesn't have any blue speckles? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zackiechan View Post
    Or is there some kind of cheap/free software that can somehow blend the background pixels so that the outcome doesn't have any blue speckles? Thanks
    There is NO SOFTWARE (cheap/free/otherwise) that can cure green screen issues, and there are many.

First, be sure you evenly light your green screen.
    Second, make sure the object you are filming (person or otherwise) is far enough away from the screen so that green light reflection from the screen (spill) is not falling on the object. Objects positioned out and in front of the screen should be lit separately with 3-point lighting. The screen needs to be lit with a different set of lights, usually a soft flood on each side will do fairly well.

Following those two chief rules will get you better key results. I hope you find this helpful.

Thanks for the advice! Now I know what I need to focus on to improve my greenscreen. I found some household lights just to test out brightning the screen and its already looking better.