Thread: AVCHD playback in Movie Studio Platinum 9

Default AVCHD playback in Movie Studio Platinum 9

Question:

Is there a way to improve AVCHD playback in Sony Movie Studio Platinum 9? Files in the timeline appear to strobe when played back, but once rendered, don't show any evidence of this. The files were shot with a Panasonic HMC-150 set to 1080/30p.

The computer is an HP, with an Intel Core Duo E8400 processor at 3.00 ghz. The computer has 4gb of RAM and is running XP Pro.

I realize XP is not the ideal software choice for this, but it's what we have right now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ABCTV View Post
    Question:
    I realize XP is not the ideal software choice for this, but it's what we have right now.
    Says who? XP is the best possible OS for Vegas if you're running 32bit.

As for your problem. A preview is just a preview. It's a question of balance. You can change the resolution to lower quality in order to check timing and higher quality to check detail. Most of us are continually switching between the two whilst editing.

I don't use ABCHD myself, but most people seem to report that it really needs a quad core to get smooth AND high quality in the preview window.
    Tim

Thanks for the feedback.

The dealership in Vancouver (BC) that sold us the camera system advised us to go with a 64bit set-up rather than XP Pro. However, I'm trying to make this work in an existing 25-station computer lab that's running XP Pro.

When we took delivery of the HMC-150 this past January, I also learned the hard way that the Platinum 8 we had been running throughout the lab (on Intel 1,8 ghz processors) wanted nothing to do with the Panasonic AVCHD files (caused immediate crashes).

So we upgraded processors and RAM on a few machines (and stuck with XP Pro for at least the near future) and went with Platinum 9 on those. So far, student videos produced on those machines, using HMC-150 files are turning out all right, but some complain that the preview is choppy.

Anyway, I took your advice and it seems to make a substantial difference.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ABCTV View Post
    The dealership in Vancouver (BC) that sold us the camera system advised us to go with a 64bit set-up rather than XP Pro. However, I'm trying to make this work in an existing 25-station computer lab that's running XP Pro.
    For clarification...
    Only Vegas Pro has a 64 bit version available. Movie Studio does not. There would be little benefit in running 32bit Vegas MSP on a 64bit OS and indeed there could be problems as that combination is unsupported.

Glad my pointer helped a bit.
    Tim