Thread: Sony Vegas 6.0 platinum Edition, never holds it's sync through rendering...

Unhappy Sony Vegas 6.0 platinum Edition, never holds it's sync through rendering...

Well, a long time ago, I got the platinum edition of Vegas Movie Studio 6.0. Big mistake? That's one of the things I hope to find out here. Alright, well, let me start by saying this: I only use Vegas for small stuff, like really small. I bought it with bigger projects in mind, but ended up never pursuing them.
    So I basically just use it to make music videos for Youtube and stuff. Well, I used it once a long while back, it didn't have any problems, and the video came out quite well. About a year passes, and I don't touch it, as Im extremely busy at first, then forget... So when I come back to it, everything on the video timeline hiccups and flickers horribly unless I burn my finished videos in High Definition... It says on the box "HD Video Editing and DVD creation software, so is that why? Im pretty sure it's extremely HD oriented, but I thought it could handle both when I bought it...

So, the video files I import are from dvds, you know movies off my shelf. I use a program called 123Copy DVD (yeah, lame name, but it seems to work well) to get the footage onto my hard drive where it appears as a VLC media file (.vob). Well, when I try and make videos now, it seems like Vegas just cant keep up in high def. I have state of the art entertainment computer that really packs heat in graphics and memory, so it shouldn't be my comp... but here's what happens:
    I start messing with my video, and in the preview box, things look good. Then, when I make the video into a Windows Media/Audio file, it starts in sync with the music, but veeeeeery slowly, like the minute hand of a clock, the video falls behind where it's supposed to be. So, I go back to the timeline, and put some of the later parts a bit ahead of where they should be. So now, it doesn't look quite right in the preview box, but after it's rendered, it looks right. But heres the worst part: no matter how hard I try and aclimate to the program, if I try and put a video up on Youtube, the same thing happens AGAIN.

The video source file I have can be perfect, but when watched on youtube, everything comes out of sync, slowly. But on Youtube, it happens about 10x worse. I heard somewhere that it might be poor dvd ripping software, but I wouldnt know how to find out what software is good and whats bad. Mine has great reviews, but who knows? I could try uninstalling and reinstalling it to see whether or not I accidentally messed up the settings, but then I would have to possibly waste my time on a whole new project to find out (wasted time, assuming it fixes nothing). If there is a program anyone knows that is better suited to this sort of thing (windows moviemaker doesn't detect my ripped dvd files... ?) then please mention it.

Thank you SO much for reading all of that. This is really driving me nuts!

*EDIT*: forgot to mention, if I render an entire video, then by the time it's near the end, it's already come out of sync with the music, right? BUT, if I render only small increments of the video at once, I can have 4 or 5 windows media player movie files that are all parts of the same project, but are all in sync with the music. That hopefully helps :/
    Last edited by Repo Baxil; 07-23-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Blog Entries

This might be helpful - or not! - I'm not sure if you have this option in 6 (it's been a while!), but look for Import - Camcorder Disc in the file menu. Put your DVD in the drive, and it'll go straight into your timeline hassle free.

I would guess it's your 'lame' conversion s/w thats causing this glitch.

Blog Entries

Andy is almost certainly correct. I do have MSP6 installed (amazing how helpful this is when diagmnosing others' pronlems) and I can confirm it does have the File Import DVD Camcorder disc facility.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    This might be helpful - or not! - I'm not sure if you have this option in 6 (it's been a while!), but look for Import - Camcorder Disc in the file menu. Put your DVD in the drive, and it'll go straight into your timeline hassle free.

I would guess it's your 'lame' conversion s/w thats causing this glitch.
    Thanks a lot for your time I'm really not sure I understand you though... The advice about the import option-- is that aimed at solving the problem I'm having right no, or at helping make other projects in the future a bit easier? And about "camcorder", you understand that I'm using feature films like Lord of War, or Fight Club, correct? I'm sorry, I'm probably hugely missing something, but either way, thanks for your time
    About my dvd ripping software though: do you have any reccomendations for software like this? I bought my copy at best buy, but they also have something similar by Roxio... Theyre both the same price, but that might not mean anything :S

****EDIT****: OOOkaay.... now I get it (Im slow) but the problem I seem to be having now is that whenever I choose that import option, it comes up with a load bar and says "importing --insert file/dvd anme here--". Within about 30 seconds it says its at 100%, and from there (it's not just finished and waiting for me to close the window, it's still trying to import) it just sits there forever. I have it up right now, and I'm leaving it "importing" just in case it really is making progress and the progress bar is wrong... any suggestions?
    Last edited by Repo Baxil; 07-23-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Okay, so now it's telling me that it cant do it right off the bat, rather than confusing me with neverending load bars. It either says...

"An error occurred during the current operation. An exception has occurred."
    *Vegas then shuts itself down*

check this:

or

"An error has occured when opening one or more files. The file is most likely corrupted or of an unknown format."

check this:

The top one is a dvd movie, the lower one is a tv show I have on dvd. Should I uninstall Vegas and try again?
    Last edited by Repo Baxil; 07-23-2009 at 07:16 PM.

Well, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Vegas, only while I was trying to reinstall it after the having uninstalled it, it told me...

first: "An application that must be updated is running. Please close the application and click retry." The application it says is running is Sony Vegas. And it's not installed yet. Unless it's referring to it's own installation, then I can't imagine what it's talking about. And if it is, I can't imagine why. I must click "ignore" to proceed.

second: moments later, I am told that the installation requires administrator privileges. If I ever want to get this darned thing running, I'll need to log in as administrator. Oh yeah, I am. There's only one account on my computer, and Im using it. That account has administrator privileges, and I have no idea what in the heck is going on.

I think that through my posts here it's been made pretty clear what kind of work I'll be doing for now. Just simple hobby oriented things, like movie music vids and stuff. Is there a program out there that might be better suited for my needs? I don't think Vegas will ever run on my comp again now, so I might need to get something new. I would just use windows moviemaker, but I can't import dvds on that... If there are any applications that you know of that might work for me and can import feature film dvds, please mention it. Thanks.

Blog Entries

It sounds to me like your whole system is in a bit of a mess so all bets are off. I wouldn't be surprised if copy protection is preventing you importing commercial DVDs, but as for stuff you've burnt yourself - that should simply work.

Contact Sony via their site. I think you'll need to register, but you'll have done that already, won't you? They'll send you instructions for doing a full uninstall of Vegas (Add Remove programs doesn't always work). I suggestyou turn off User Account Control in Vista whilst installing/uninstalling too. (Search help & support in Vista)
    Tim

Actually, good news :O

Vegas thought I wasn't the administrator due to an automatic update that had installed but needed to restart my system to take full effect. Threw off my system a bit apparently :S Right now, everything seems to be working ok... That import option still doesn't work, but like you mentioned, it's almost definitely copyright protection. My whole problem seems to have been fixed, maybe I just mucked up that particular video file somehow .__. I actually bought Nero 9 also, which, as far as I can tell, is an absolute disaster. There also seem to not be even any user tutorials, and the official ones are a joke ;_; Oh well, I'll keep working with it. I heard it was good, so maybe I just need to get used to it.

But thanks for all the helpful comments guys
    Last edited by Repo Baxil; 07-24-2009 at 10:12 AM.