Thread: Drag Racing Team

Default Drag Racing Team

We are seeking a preferably local (essex) videographer to come with us to drag racing meetings in Stratfors upon Avon, and Santa Pod, to cover next seasons car build pre and post race preparation with a view to producing a professional quality DVD

We would like someone amature or semi professional who is seeking to use this to either further their carreer or gain a recognised accretiation.

They will be given unprecedented access to race areas, our workshops for build, pre and post race preparation pit access at the track and be with us for race weekends.

The car is currently ranked 7th in tour fitst season and we are investing heavily for 2010.

This is not a paid role but will hopefully give the right person all the access they need to provide thenselves with some great footage for their use.

Blog Entries

I dont want this post to sound hostile - I kind of wish you well with your hunt and so on...

But why the hell does everyone want something for free?

You're expecting someone to trail around the country, spend time filming and presumably editing - no account taken of wear and tear on kit (which costs a bloody fortune I might add!), petrol, hours, all FOR NOTHING other than access 'behind the scenes'?

I don't doubt for a second you'll get someone who's into drag racing to do it for you (you'll be very lucky if it's anyone even semi-pro) but please - don't say it's not a 'paid role' - the work a decent videographer does is worth alot of money.... just take a look at what a wedding videographer (for instance) charges per day.....

Blog Entries

Is anyone willing to come and redecorate my kitchen for free.

I'm sure there are loads of DIY people out there who are considering going pro or semi-pro and would like to have something to work on. If you redecorate my kitchen I can offer:

(a) you will get valuable decorating experience should you ever want to turn professional
    (b) this is not a paid role but will give you access to the decorating world
    (c) it's a step on the way to being a professional painter and decorator.

(Well, it's worth a try... Some mug might fall for it)

Blog Entries

54po - to give you some idea, my cameras were around 3.5k each. My Glidecam was 2.5k. My tripods were 450 each. My radio mic packs were 400 each - then there's peripherals like flightcases, batteries, tapes - and I'm not even very well equipped in the great scheme of things. All that before I've even stepped out of my door.

Of course you'll want someone free - who wouldn't? And the lure of pit access and so on will surely attract people. But really - you've invested in your car and team heavily - do yourself a favour, hire a proper videographer at proper rates. Aside from anything else, you will have a right to expect a quality product. If you take Mr. Free, you will be looking at footage in a few months time - and thinking - wtf. I can guarantee it.

Its true when they say 'You pay for what you get.'

A good promo take time, skill and money.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 54po View Post
    with a view to producing a professional quality DVD
    Therein lies your problem - and what has prompted the comments from the Pros on this forum. (To say nothing of the fact that you've posted this in a section dedicated to hiring pros). There is a world of difference between a good amateur production and a professional one. (Andy's only scraped the surface of the differences)

I'm sure your plea will appeal to many amateurs. Many of us belong to clubs and organisations and this might be a good subject for a club project or an individual's documentary for entry into a competition.

However these sort of set-ups are nearly always on the basis that the filmmaker/makers are making it for their own ends, and trying to meet their own objectives. There's no promise that anything will transpire. The footage belongs to the filmaker. What they do with it is up to them. There may be some sort of agreement that if the organisation likes the result they may be able to BUY some copies or even given some, but nothing more.

As I say, I'm sure that there will be interest, and I'm sure that with the right people you'll get some good results, however they almost certainly won't be of professional quality and there's no guarantee you'll get anything at all.

I would advise approaching amateur clubs rather than trust a fan who happens to have a camcorder.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 07-23-2009 at 02:43 PM.
    Tim

Interesting comments.

When I started out in business no-one wanted to help, Now I dont need anyone. My hobby is drag racing, the last meeting cost me about 800 for a weekend. If you add brakages etc it could be extremely more. We will be doing about 10-12 events next year. Probably one engine costs more than most peoples set up on here. However I dont want to get into a contest on my lens is bigger than yours!!!!. If I wanted a professional I would use Mo-Am who I have worked many times and they are superb professionals. We worked with when they used the car for a music video and for a WORLD FAMOUS clothing company. I also have plenty of prefesioanl footage.

I was just offereing an amature who is on the road to becoming a professional or someone the opportunity for them to develop skills or to fulfill an acedemic project by shooting the exciting environment of what we do, especially the frantic goings on when there is a problem. PAID, yes, I think we should be.

What do I want from this? Absolutely nothing, my hope is that they will produce a pofessional quality DVD for their portfolio and go towards some form of pro accrediation.

How often does someone get the chance to do something, go away realise its not what they want or is any good and re-shoot? Or work with someone/team who has the patience to allow them to experiment or do something several times in order that they may progress.

We have also been in a feature film and know only too well how boring some scenes can be in an extremely professional situation. We are not expecting anything other than helping someone who will have the desire, drive and enthusiasm to use this opportunity to gain an accreditation and better themselves.

I did not come on this forum for an agrument or sarcasm just to help someone, and can honestly say at this moment I regret offering any aspiring videopgrapher any opportunity. I bid you all goodbyel

Blog Entries

Goodbye, he doth protest too much, no great loss methinks.

Blog Entries

..I did not come on this forum for an agrument or sarcasm just to help someone, ...
    And I certainly didn't offer any. I simply pointed out what you already seem to know. I even prefaced my post with best luck and specifically the mention of not wanting to sound hostile.

Ah well. I think I was reasonable.

EDIT - I just noticed -
    ..and now I dont need anyone
    Seems you do, actually. And for nothing.

There, sarcasm.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 07-23-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Blog Entries

...What do I want from this? Absolutely nothing, my hope is that they will produce a pofessional quality DVD for their portfolio and go towards some form of pro accrediation...

...I did not come on this forum for an agrument or sarcasm just to help someone, and can honestly say at this moment I regret offering any aspiring videopgrapher any opportunity. l

Oh give me a break.

You came on this forum looking for some mug who would make you a "professional" DVD for nothing. So don't get up on your high horse and claim anything different. You have been called on it and are now leaving. If I want to work for nothing I'd do it for a charity, not to save someone a few quid.