Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a Sony HD1000???

Default Using a Sony HD1000???

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone has used the shoulder-mount Sony HVR-HD1000 HD camera to shoot weddings?? I am wondering how much problem using a CMOS sensor gives you compared to using a cam with 3 x CCD's

Or the Canon HV20 or 30 ??? That also has a CMOS chip does it not???

I need a second set of cameras to keep up with the wedding bookings and the price of the HD1000's are pretty impressive for a camera that can shoot SD and HD but the CMOS chip worries me a little

I would appreciate any comments from anyone that is shooting wedding with CMOS chip cameras!!

Thanks

Chris

It seems fairly obvious that not many people here hold the Sony HD1000 is very high esteem for wedding shoots so I will stay with Panasonics this season and get the HMC72's which also have the advantage of XLR inputs and a decent audio panel. HMC150's will be a nice option when I can afford them!!

Chris

Hi chris,

After a bit of thinking I opted to get a HD 1000 as a cheap jump to HD to see how I and my current set up faired with it.

I can report that overall its not to bad at all if you can forgive the tedium of setting it up (not many buttons/quite a bit of touch screen menu)

I've compared the footage with other HD cameras I've used since and its all there more or less. For the price one cant grumble.

Hi Starkie

Much appreciated!! However I eventually decided to stick with Panasonic and got 2 x HMC72 cameras. Main reason was the new audio section has manual control and XLR but also the 72 is basically a clone of my MD10000's with regards to menus and controls. It's about the only cam where you can use the controls by "feel" I can have the camera on my shoulder and still switch from auto to manual and control both iris and gain without lifting my eye from the EVF.

I know my old cam's controls and options backwards so there was also no learning curve for me!!!(and I'm also biased towards Panasonic..have never owned anything going right back to the days when VHS first came out!!!)

How do you find the Sony in low light??? Most said it wasn't that good due to the single CMOS chip but that doesn't worry me..if the light level drops I slip on a 48 x 10mm LED Panel and the cam can see again!!!

I must admit that the Sony is an awful lot of camera for a small amount of money. You could probably pay for it with just one wedding!!! That's good value and you will get some great footage with it!!

Chris

In honesty I haven't used it in low light situations but it isn't too bad all round. It delivers pretty good results but as mentioned its a bit of a stress to quickly change the settings. Just like lord of the rings , for all the camera settings, one ring controls them.

Downconversion via the camera to SD is really really bad.

I use Panasonic mostly as well actually, having learnt my staple video diet on the DVX100.

What are the HMC72 like, If its the one I think it is I was put off by the way it looked. Ha, I know thats a silly statement to make, considering its probably as good as any other camera.

Kindest regards

I've had MD10000's for a year now and replaced them with the HMC72's. Some people say the case is ugly but I guess I'm used to them. It's very well balanced on your shoulder ...I've yet to use the HMC's but that are about 1kg heavier but still the same shape case. Funny, I always thought the XL1 was really ugly and strange ...however even my little SD MD10000's have nice comments thrown at them. Somehow the photos of these Panasonics were taken from a bad angle I think and they look strange but are really not!!

Gosh!! I'm really surprised about your SD conversion comment!!! That was the main reason I wanted the Sony as 99% of my clients have an HD TV but only a standard DVD player so I was going to downconvert to SD !!

With the Panasonic you need to convert the AVCHD file in something like VAAST's Upshift so it's in a more NLE friendly format but you can edit the MTS files direct with a really fast QuadCore machine.

The Panasonic has way better audio !! 2 x XLR's manual two channel audio control, phantom power and selectable line/mic inputs too!!!!

Yeah, I worried about the ring on the Sony and the touchscreen ..it's way too complicated to use when you are doing a wedding. Also if you shoot in lowlight and use auto iris the Sony cranks up the gain way too fast!!! You have to assign the iris to the ring!!

I look at it this way..both cameras are around the same price at present and even if you don't like them you can shoot a few weddings, more than pay for them and get something else. Going from a DVX to the HD1000 must be painful..the DVX is a quality pro machine!!!!

Chris

Indeed, Theres no comparison the DVX is a far superior machine!

I love it! however its limited now by its 4:3 ness thesedays . I've been using it in squeeze mode to get a 16:9 picture but sadly quality pays.

What do you use to convert your AVCHD files to edit smoothly on a NLE if you dont mind me asking. I've heard it does take a beat of a machine to smoothly edit a decent size project.

I think i'll be saving the pennies for the HD AVCHD machine up from the DVX with the P2 cards. I cant remember what its called but I am sure you know what I am describing.

Hi Starkie

OK, because 99% of my clients have a standard DVD player but have an HD TV I have to go 16:9 but use a normal DVD for their wedding video. In the last two years I have yet to find a couple who own a BluRay player and if they did, there is always the problem that the parents won't have a player so SD DVD is still the only option at present.

I nearly bought a couple of DVX's but you are right the squeeze mode basically does what you can do in an NLE (crop and zoom) with the usual loss!! I also looked at the DVC62 which is basically what my new cams are but SD and tape drive BUT sadly it uses squeeze mode too!! So it had to be HD.

Right, I'm using VAAST's Upshift to do the conversions from MTS (the AVCHD format) to M2t and I'm converting at 50mbs so it's gotta be better already that DV which only converts at 25mbs Because the HDV format is essentially MPEG it's very important to also convert with a GOP of 1 (Usual MPEG2 uses a GOP of around 5 so the full info is only contained in every 5 frames)

The results are excellent with a really crisp image in 1920x1080 and Vegas 7 handles the format easily. If I want to edit AVCHD then I need Vegas 9 plus a very serious QuadCore machine!!! My DuoCore renders the HDV clip to SD almost in realtime!!! (SD to SD was around half the clip length to render)

Watch out for P2 cards unless you have a BIG bank account...they cost a fortune!!!!! Here an 8gb card costs almost $1000 whilst SDHC video cards for the HMC series are less than $100!!!

I would seriously look at the HMC152 which is virtually a clone or the DVX102
    everything looks the same except the tape drive has gone.

Before you do anything however, I would wait for the August release of the HMC40!!! Sort of a DVX HD camera with a lower price tag than the HMC152!!!

If you can get a few 10 sec clips of AVCHD video in MTS format, you can download Upshift and actually use it (the trial is limited to 10 secs of video)

Chris

Mr Softweigh cheers for the answer, I appreciate your help.

I didn't know about the GOP settings at all, has given me food for thought indeed.

So after you've converted your MT.s to M2t. Do you them convert to MPEG2 for a regular DVD

A couple of weeks ago I had real head aches in downconverting HD footage to a standard DVD from a premiere timeline. I got bad results. In the end i used a third party programe to downconvert the footage.

Cheers once again for the informative answers

Unfortunately I don't use Premiere but in Vegas I drop the M2t HD files onto the time line, do all the necessary editing and then render it as an MPEG2 using the DVD PAL Widescreen template. It creates an MPEG2 SD file at a bitrate around 6000.

Editing an HD file in premiere should allow you to render to an SD MPEG2 at better quality than a DV-AVI file. You might need to ask someone with Premiere if there is any special tricks rendering HD video to SD. (I do assume that your version can do HD video???)

Keep an eye out for the HMC40 !!! Due this month!!!

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast