Thread: Sony Handy Cam - Premiere Pro

1. Question Sony Handy Cam - Premiere Pro

Hi guys.

The wife has got herself a nice little Sony Handycam. It records straight to Mini DVD. Now she wants me to edit and mess around with her footage of sports day and ballet classes..

Problem is the only files on the disks are VOB, which Premiere Pro does not import. Can anybody suggest a solution for me to be able to edit her stuff??

Leroy

Default VOB help

Adobe Elements(the non-pro version of adobe) will read a VOB file, if you have that. Or encoding software like Nero will do the trick. Not free though, but under $100.
    Last edited by gulby; 07-22-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: additional info

This is a quick work around that seems to work for CS4 and CS3.

Copy the .VOB file to your desktop. Rename the file from VIDEO_FILE.VOB to VIDEO_FILE.mpg.

When you import the VIDEO_FILE.mpg file into Premiere Pro, it scans it and suddenly everything works. I don't know why, but it does.

Iv tried and tested this in both CS3 and CS4 and it works for me so give it a shot.
    Blue Skies

Also, i noticed that after receiving the latest updates for CS4, most .VOB files appear to be supported straight on import.
    Blue Skies

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by benjo View Post
    This is a quick work around that seems to work for CS4 and CS3.

Copy the .VOB file to your desktop. Rename the file from VIDEO_FILE.VOB to VIDEO_FILE.mpg.

When you import the VIDEO_FILE.mpg file into Premiere Pro, it scans it and suddenly everything works. I don't know why, but it does.

Iv tried and tested this in both CS3 and CS4 and it works for me so give it a shot.
    I tried to do that but the file extension does not change, it just goes from movie.vob to movie.mpg.vob

Yeah ok, you might be best using a terminal/ command window. If you're using windows or mac the commands are the same.

Open up a terminal/ command prompt and for simplicity, let's say that your footage is on your desktop, now type:

Code:
    cd Desktop
    You're now on the desktop:

Code:
    cp file.VOB file.mpg
    Try that.
    Blue Skies