Thread: The Gate

Default The Gate

first effort with my new Panasonic point n shoot

another work in progress .......

[ame=http://www.vimeo.com/5684263]The Gate on Vimeo[/ame]

2. Default

The music reminds House MD I'm not a pro or smth, but here is my opinion. At the begining I was hoohed in, but later on something kept bothering me. First, through all video I was wondering, maybe cementary should have been shown with darker and not so vivid colors. I think that would fit the music. Also near the end some (not all) fade ins were too quick and distracted my attention a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Pistukas View Post
    The music reminds House MD I'm not a pro or smth, but here is my opinion. At the begining I was hoohed in, but later on something kept bothering me. First, through all video I was wondering, maybe cementary should have been shown with darker and not so vivid colors. I think that would fit the music. Also near the end some (not all) fade ins were too quick and distracted my attention a bit...

thanks for your observations Pisukas, hopefully i'll be back up there to gat some more footage tomorrow .....with my new tripod

Nice peice mate. I thought it was all well put together bar one part - where you half faded in a tombstone. I'm just not a fan of that type of effect, if something's going to fade in then we want to see all of it rather than just an overlay

Other than that though it was good. Fitting music, good pace and good use of fade in transitions.

I don't know if I missed the point to it...but was there a point to it? Other than that the choice of shots were nice, set the scenes well and slow crawl forward with the camera was a nice touch.

I don't know if it was just the audio compression when uploading to vimeo but the fuzz started to really distract me after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    I don't know if I missed the point to it...but was there a point to it? .
    err.

To be honest, the session started as a stills photo shoot but i decided to test the video function on the camera and got a bit carried away. It was only later when i viewed the footage i got to thinking maybe i had the makings of a short ghost story ...... as they say watch this space

Nice video. Could I know which camera you use (the model). thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kingster View Post
    Nice video. Could I know which camera you use (the model). thanks

Hi Kingster, the camera is a Panasonic lumix TZ7 as its known in Europe or DMC ZS3 as its known in the rest of the world. its a point n shoot compact with HD video capabilities. The footage in the Gate doesnt really do it justice as its been quite heavily mangled in PP

Last edited by enc; 07-31-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Some nice stylised shots, liked the effect of the gate opening by itself at the start but as said previous the fades to black didn't work. They suggest the passage of time but we still remain in the graveyard and the subject matter is still the same, so in reality time hasn't passed. I would stick with the cuts or use cross dissolves but it the first part of your video uses cuts then stick with cuts right to the end as using anything else will confuse the viewer.

The semi cross dissolve at 0:52 doesn't work, either cross dissolve to a new shot or don't the half way compromise doesn't work in this instance. The colours were good did you do any post work on them or is that just straight from the camera? The blacks are very dark and there seems to be little in the way of mid tones or is that just the style you went for? Overall I liked it, but it needs a few changes to make it flow better, some shots of the tranquility of the location, the churches architecture and gravestones of young children would be a good contrast to the gravestones of the elderly.

Again thanks for the comments and suggestions all have been taken on board

Going to develop this one further, got plans to take my partners 13 year old to "use as a ghost" LOL

Colours are not straight from the camera they've been mashed in MB ! I whent for a kind of dreamy look... notice the blurred edges ? think I'll be going black and white for the finished cut.

One thing i have been trying to do is smooth out the motion in the walking shots. Image stabilizer in Premiere elements isn't up to much. Maybe I'm expecting to much ?