Thread: Cant hear the voice, please help

Exclamation Cant hear the voice, please help

Hey guys,

Was out on the weekend and had a mini interview with someone and i used the camera with its standard mic, basically the background noise is quite loud car sounds and its sort of cut out the voice all together making it very hard to hear!!!

Im going to buy an external mic for my new camera just got a sony FX7, can anyone suggest a mic for simple interviews one on one in a noisy enviornment.

And is there anyway i can fix this background sound and bring the voice out stronger so its not a total waste of the interview, help would be appreciated thank you!

- Luke

u could try the cool edit program for sound editing. it has a function that can actually eliminate noise to some point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rocksteady View Post
    u could try the cool edit program for sound editing. it has a function that can actually eliminate noise to some point.
    Ermm. Cool Edit hasn't existed for years. It was bought by Adobe and became Adobe Audition.

The sort of noise reduction tools available EITHER try to eliminate sudden peaks (the crackles and pops of old vinyl recordings) OR a consistent background noise such as a hum or a hiss.

There is nothing that will really help with background random noise such as cars going past. The best you can hope for is to try to apply some EQ to reduce all bar the frequencies you want to hear. If you're lucky and work hard at this you may get a slight improvement.

I'm afraid you've learnt this lesson the hard way. Sound is more critical than picture. Nearly ALWAYS. With video you can always use cutaways or show a totally different clip/diagrams whatever if you don't have the footage you needed, but you simply can't do that with sound.
    Tim