Thread: 64-bit XP? Good or bad?

Default 64-bit XP? Good or bad?

So,I heard that 64-bit XP Pro was good. Anyone using it? I heard there was driver issues?Willl sony vegas 7.0 and Adobe cs4 programs work on it? Or should I get vista 64-home premium?

Yes I do, It lift the memory limit, drivers can be a problem depending on hardware so if you keep to branded stuff you maybe OK. Just depends on your setup, I would personally wait till Windows 7 is launch in Oct.

As no one use Vista and I certainly didn't, with it been resource hungery, Windows 7 is a lot lighter. I have much hope for this OS I just hope microsoft don't let us down. As a rule I never transfer to an OS until the first service pack.

I've been using Vista for the past two years, no problems with it at all. Wait until Windows 7 comes out, there are too many problems with 64 bit OS and Win XP is an old OS now at this stage.

Nikosony: Vista is alright and my comments above weren't saying that Vista was problematic. Just that XP is lighter on system resources, that's why I stuck to it. I personally didn't like Vista, and many people thought the same, I just liked XP over Vista. As to XP 64bit, its a shame it didn't get the same driver support, instead driver writers opted to support vista 64. Shame really, as XP 64 is robust, but as you haven't used it at a guess or had problems with drivers, you probably don't know that.

As you say XP is old now and quite rightly, XP lovers should get excited about Windows 7. I know I am, as its lighter on system recourses. On a technical level, this is like shutting the door once the horse has bolted. Microsoft needs full communication from hardware companies like AMD, Intel etc. to be able to write great software, for the hardware. It's like the chicken and the egg scenario, Intel has since backed tracked on development hence resource lighter Windows 7 OS from Microsoft. Plus in addition tackling a few issues from the soft/hard-ware side. But hey whatís this; Microsoft listening to it's customers...hey what has happen here lol. anyway.

Are you going to move to Windows 7 ? as we seem to agree that this is better.
    Last edited by zandebar; 08-09-2009 at 03:03 PM.

Another Vista user here .... works fine for me.

LOL, Am I miss reading your input; that you think, that I think Vista is problematic ?

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Another Vista user here .... works fine for me.
    Let me make myself perfectly clear; YES your quite right Vista does work well, but it eats up system resources. When your comparing it to XP and now Windows 7, if you have a beefy machine; you won't notice it. Its a well known documented fact; that Vista is resource hungry and has nothing to do with how well it works, just the resources it uses whilst working.

Quote Originally Posted by zandebar View Post

As no one use Vista and I certainly didn't, w.

maybe i misread your comments

but, to say no one uses it... well ..............

Quote Originally Posted by zandebar View Post
    As no one use Vista and I certainly didn't, .

Maybe that statement was harsh sounding, but on a whole; and am not saying that Vista didn't have its users. Just that the take up of Vista was a lot slower compared to Microsofts previous OS's. Lots of people stayed with XP, me being one of those people, as I didn't like Vista. Microsoft didn't make as much money on Vista as they thought they would. This was a result of a
    compilation of various reasons, which I won't go into on this thread. So Granted; I should have worded my comment alot better, to communicate fully what I meant.

I stand Corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    maybe i misread your comments
    MMMMmm did you or didn't you ? come on be honest
    Last edited by zandebar; 08-09-2009 at 06:45 PM.

How does it eat up system resources, I've run Win XP on 2GB Ram and a 2 Ghz cpu and I am currently doing the same with both Vista Basic and Premium and I don't see any lag or slow down in the computers performance. I'm running both Intel and AMD machines at present and they cope quite well with image editing, video capture albeit SD, soon to be HD so that will be the real test and 3D modelling and rendering, some of the most demanding tasks you can get a computer to do. No problems so far thankfully.