I'm soon to be travelling to Japan with work (finance!), and attending CES in Las Vegas in January 2010 with a hardware website. In my spare time, I will be embarking on an ambitious personal project that would be documented well with a camcorder. So a mix of out and about in cities, interviews on a tripod and general use.
(p.s. I already own a Velbon DV7000 tripod for my DSLR, so interviews are covered)
I've done some of my own research, but hit a dead end with conflicting opinions. Here is what I know I want:
- HD capable in AVCHD (AVC/H.264)
- 1080p (I have a Samsung LE40A686 panel)
- Prefer manual focus ability
- Prefer mic input
- Backlight compensation or equivalent to iris/aperture control
- Good battery is a bonus, but I already concede to buying a spare or two.
- Wide angle lens attachment would be a bonus
- Optical zoom doesn't need to be mega (it's redundant by hand at certain lengths and above anyway)
Here are some points I am stuck with:
- HDD or flash memory storage - happy to buy a few cards if required, but not sure which is preferred and suggested and why.
- Is the 3-CCD feature worth the premium?
- What is the best software for editing AVCHD? I frequently hear tales of my father cursing the day Sony Vegas was conceived you see.
- What's the deal with 24p/25p on camcorders? I.e. my Blu Ray player and HDTV resolve the 24p issue - not likely on the camcorder? Surprisingly not well documented on my travels!
All and every bit of advice is very welcome. My intended budget is around £400, but I can stretch to £500 if the price justifies the end means.
Finally, thanks for your replies in advance - I appreciate that many threads crop up, but I've done some research at least!