Thread: appropriate effects to correct dull footage in Adobe cs3 suite

Smile appropriate effects to correct dull footage in Adobe cs3 suite

I am attempting to correct digital footage from canon xl2 using Adobe CS3 suite. The footage is of surfing, shot 200m away, using a circ polarising lens at full rotation on a very overcast day.
    Firstly, should i use After Effects, or Premiere ? In Premiere, there are many
    options to use, i suspect most are more novelty based than of any significant use, which effects are the most appropriate ones for this simple task ?
    I am wanting to bring out a bit of colour and contrast without compromising quality, in as much as that is possible.

Can you post a few still frames of the problems you have, it is rather difficult to give exact answers about which filters to use.

Default frames from footage

Thank you for your reply, i have attached a few frames from the footage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Try Levels and Curves as the image on the left is very dark but what happened to the image on the right, was the auto exposure on or did you try correcting some video already? You could also try to warm the scene up using Colour Balance, most of the filters and effects are the same as in Photoshop. The actual quality in terms of how blurred the video is may not be able to be improved as you may be too far away and along with atmospheric conditions and that polarising filter the images are beyond fixing.
    Last edited by Nikosony; 07-20-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Default Frames info

The images are different because of the changing cloud conditions, the different positioning of the sun (film shoot lasted 9 hours on a short winter day) and the changing wind strength (strong offshore gusts blow spray from the waves around the subject and leave a hazey mist in the air) The polarising filter was and virtually always is a necessity, on this day i was filming into the suns glare ( had the waves been rights and not lefts,the quality would have doubled).
    I might have changed my aperture and shutter speed hundreds of times this day.
    I have toyed with curves and found it helps improve contrast and sometimes hue and colour so i'll keep up to that if you think its a usefull idea. I'll try levels too, ive not tried that yet.
    Within the effect, "colour corrector" in premiere , is a saturation option, i found it added a bit of green to the wave which was good but ive not yet seen if the overall effect once on a television is worth it, do you know if this effect is worthwhile.
    Thanks again for your help.
    PS, filming surfing is the most painfull thing you might ever do.

PS, filming surfing is the most painfull thing you might ever do.
    Sitting on the beach watching waves like that peel off, DUDE, you're stronger than i am.

All of my surfing footage is of really crappy shories, no-one wants to film when it's peeling off the back!
    Blue Skies

....Thats why i have no competition in Newcastle, i just surf when its a fun size, i own 4 twinfins and a singlefin coz its only ever around 3ft when i get to surf!!