Thread: Mass Storage

Blog Entries

Default Mass Storage

I know we've got a few PC uber geeks on here, so you might have some pointers for me...

I'm loking to spend between 300-500 on some networked storage space. Ideally this should be in the region of 500GB (prepared to pay upto 2/GB) and accessed via ethernet. Needs to be virtually silent and accessible over a wired network (also wireless if possible).

Thoughts?

I'd be prepared to build a server, but this needs to be added to a windows network and I need DIRECT access to the files (streamin video). Also needs to be uber silent.

I have a mate who has 4TB of drive space in a small white box connected to his PC (I think via SATA). Anyway, I've dropped him an email to ask what it's called and where you can get them from (he got his free from his company).

Let you know when I get a reply (either here or msn).
    Lloyd

That's my opinion. If you don't like it I have others

System: Apple Macbook Pro 17, and an external Freecom 500GB eSATA drive.
    Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

Blog Entries

Cheers. Getting fed up of juggling projects across drives

Blog Entries

Looks like I'll be building a cheapo pseudo-server and sticking some big drives in it. Seen some NAS servers for the home market, but they cost more than a PC!!!

I'm still waiting for a reply from my mate, but will let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Btw, which of the two you mention in your post are you prepared to pay? 2/GB (1000 for 500GB - be surprised if you ever had to fork out that much for 500GB) or 300-500?
    Lloyd

Software: Final Cut Studio 2 (FCP 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Color, DVD Studio Pro 4, Compressor 3), Sonicfire Pro 4.5
    Favourite Resources: Findsounds.com, Free DVD menus, Ken Stone's FCP Page, Wikivid

newbie here... what a brilliant site !!!... congrats to all contributors !!!

not quite mass storage but I have just added a 300Gb Sata Maxtor HDD (16Mb cache) .... my OS (XP pro) is on a 160Gb HDD (8Mb cache) - have not used RAID option just left them as drive 0, 1

Am I right in setting it up with my program Premier Pro on the 160Gb (0), and all my data files on the 300Gb (1)???.. what other options could there be ????

TIA

inquisitive minds must know !!!!

just a little more info on the 'puter...
    3Ghz AMD
    1Gb DDRAM

Blog Entries

Typically, you would have the OS on one drive and video files on another.

I am posting my mate's reply verbatim

My Terabyte's of storage is in a 'SCSI' raid array, very very expensive to buy. Chassis around 400-1,600 (this depends on then number of drive bays), disks anything from 90-1,000 each. These will only be available from certain suppliers, mainly web based.

This can be made more affordable by adding a 'SCSI' card (Adaptec are the best I've found) to the PC and using a boxed external 'SCSI' drive. The external 'SCSI' drive plugs into the back of the card, externally to the PC via a cable.

Unfortunately price gets you data transfer speed when it comes to the cards, 20Mbps will cost around 60, whilst 320 Mbps will set him back around 200. Disks obviously vary dependant, yet again on cost.

These can be brought on the high street at your PC World's, Office World's, Staples etc, costs are better when brought 'Online'. I saved a fortune when I built my PC recently, by using a company called 'NOVATECH' http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/home.html

Need any further help, give the "Anorak" a shout!!!
    Look slike too much for what you are looking for.
    Lloyd