Thread: Our Big Fat Greek Cruise (Part 1)

Default Our Big Fat Greek Cruise (Part 1)

Edit: Parts 1 and 2 have been combined since the original posting

The week of July 3-10th my wife and I took a 7-day cruise on the Aegean. This was our first cruise and I wanted to document it, so I packed a Canon HG10 AVCHD camera and a MX-450 collapsible mono-pod stand. This was real "gorilla filmmaking" working a moving camera with the mono-pod acting as a counter-balance for stability. But the compact and lightweight arrangement allowed for getting some relatively excellent footage.

Upon our return to Kuwait I converted the AVCHD footage to WMV HD for the editing process. To be honest, I was fairly pleased with the quality of the video, however in some places the camera's auto-correction circuitry and the vibrating ship deck played hell with the video image.

Here are Parts 1 and 2 combined of "Our Big Fat Greek Cruise" which is a somewhat wacky travelogue.

Last edited by worddigger; 07-31-2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: update

Blog Entries

A very clever mix of traditional touristy travelogue material (after all you want to remember the holiday, right?) and some great humour keeps the interest.
    I particularly liked the animated ship zapping around the mediterranean complete with sound effects. Hilarious. "Gratuitous Zorba the Greek Music" appealled to my sense of humour too.

I was very impressed with the quality of the shots from that camera.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I was very impressed with the quality of the shots from that camera.
    I'll be honest, I was stunned by the image quality that camera put out. So much so that I'm considering using it instead of my DVX100 in a planned indoor studio green screen shoot. Converting the AVCHD down to 720p WMV HD, as was done for this travelogue, may make for a great looking key. We'll see.

nice animated section and great voice over. guessing the voice is your good self right ?

An excellent video showing off your destination and it's many attractions. The quality on the HG10 is very good and you certainly captured the atmosphere of the trip with lots of shots from the narrow streets to the architecture. A few of the shots could benefit from stabilisation in After Effects if you have it. The combination of clips, your own video, effects, music and inserted animations worked very well.

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    nice animated section and great voice over. guessing the voice is your good self right ?
    Yep, that was me. Old former Radio Announcer with rusty pipes.

Blog Entries

I must admit the "Walter Cronkite" voice adds a lot to the production.

As a holiday vid it's a nice job. I watched it, enjoyed it and had an idea about what you guys got up to. A bit of humour and a touch of irony eased the pain and made the whole experience much, much better than an average holiday vid.

It is a problem with holiday stuff. My holiday footage is really mind-numbingly boring to everyone except me and I would never submit any friends to be forced to watch it. On the other hand, editing it down to a reasonable length loses the atmosphere for me and makes it look like a "holiday show" insert. So I think you've done remarkable well with your trip Wordy!

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    I must admit the "Walter Cronkite" voice adds a lot to the production.

As a holiday vid it's a nice job. I watched it, enjoyed it and had an idea about what you guys got up to. A bit of humour and a touch of irony eased the pain and made the whole experience much, much better than an average holiday vid.

It is a problem with holiday stuff. My holiday footage is really mind-numbingly boring to everyone except me and I would never submit any friends to be forced to watch it. On the other hand, editing it down to a reasonable length loses the atmosphere for me and makes it look like a "holiday show" insert. So I think you've done remarkable well with your trip Wordy!
    I only hope Part 2 comes out half as good. I stared editing it yesterday and found it quickly heading towards that "mind-numbing" trap, as it covers lots of ancient ruins. I had to back up and change the approach to keep it interesting.

I think you are the first person to say my voice delivery style sounded like Walter Cronkite. That is a humbling remark and an honor, especially since that good gentleman just passed away yesterday. Thank you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by worddigger View Post
    That is a humbling remark and an honor, especially since [Walter Cronkite] just passed away yesterday. Thank you.
    I hadn't spotted that. A legend.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I hadn't spotted that. A legend.
    Indeed he was! He was without peer, in his time.