Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captured video playback issues

Smile Captured video playback issues

I am new to this forum would first like to say hi everyone.

I have some general problems and need some help/direction in solving them. firstly what Iam working on/with;

Camera: Panasonic NVGS15 (Bought 2004)
    Capture method: Firewire
    video editing software: Adobe Premiere Elements 7
    PC: AMD DC 64bit 6000+, 8Gb Ram, 7900GS, 2x250Gb Sata in Raid 0, Samsung 2253LW LCD, Samsung DL Burner.....

Background: I used to edit video from my camera when I had XP installed on my PC (Before upgrading) using Ulead software. Worked like a treat. Since then I have upgraded Ram and CPU and changed OS. Found that the old software was not compatible and am now learning to use Adobe software. My usual method is to capture via firewire to AVI format, minor edits such as clipping - maybe some effects - add music/titles then save as avi format, compile edited footage then author to DVD. Since my PC upgrade (Hardware and software) I am trying to capture/edit/author again.

My problem is that I have noticed that during capture, the footage seems to have a type of pixelization about it, especially when there is alot of moving objects in the scene. I dont know how to describe it any better. I tried playing some footage I had backed up that I had captured on my old setup and have the same issue. I have played an authored DVD on my TV which contains the same footage and it looks fine. I have a program called AVIcodec and it tells me the video codec of the AVI is called Sony Digital Video. I dont understand what could be the problem. A couple of therories I have:

codec issue? - playback and or capture?
    Refresh rate on LCD? (I used to have a CRT)
    Vista?????
    all of the above?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys

Welcome to the world of interlaced video. This is a common problem written about on the forum. It is just a fact of life that when you use interlaced video and there is movement in a scene you will see interlaced combing. You get rid of it by exporting your video and making sure the deinterlace tick box is ticked before you burn to disc. Camcorders that use Progressive scan don't suffer from this.

Thanks for the reply Nikosony.

It makes sense - the interlaced thing anyway. But what I dont understand is on my old pc setup, this wasn't an issue, playback of my captured AVI's was fine.

What I am intending to do is capyure footage, do minor edits then author to DVD. But I like to save a backup copy of the captured footage - just in case a tape gets chewed or lost. For my backup files, should I be exporting them to a different format to remove the interlaced, or just keep them in their original form?

It's just that now and then i like to view clips in my archive when I am on the PC and it sucks seeing the footage like this. Is there different players I can use that will remove the interlaced combing?

Cheers,

Ben

I notice one thing that changed is you went from Video Studio to Premier Elements.
    Generally the rule for field order is to retain the same all the way through the process.
    The footage from the cam will be lower field first so that is what you should retain all the way through to the final product.
    There is the possibility that Adobe may be defaulting to an upper field first setting either on capturing or on rendering to an MPEG2 file for the DVD burning.
    Just double check it to make sure.

Thanks for your input lancecarr...

Yes I have changed from Ulead to Adobe. I agree that would be better to stick with the same software through the process of capture to dvd burning. Just unfortunate that the Ulead progs I was reasonbly comfotable in using and setting up no longer work with Vista.

What may have been lost in my explaination is that footage I have previously captured from my old setup (XP OS and Ulead capture/basic edits and left in DV-AVI format) that I had backed up, seems to have this interlaced combing when I play back on my new setup (just using media player).

I am also experiencing the same problem with capturing and playing back new footage ATM. I haven't even stared editing let alone authoring, as this is my first hurdle.

In a nutshell Iam just stumped as I never experienced this issue with interlaced video before. As I said earlier, footage I have captured either using Ulead or even windows movie maker never used to display interlacing during the capture process, or during playback directly after capture using media player.

Any further light on the subject would be greatly appreciated - at the same time I will attempt to invest time to researching further.

Thanks for the reply's, you guys have helped point me in the right direction.

Ok then! That really only leaves two things you have posted that worry me. They are:
    1. Vista
    2. 64 bit.
    Unfortunately when Windows went to Vista they ditched the VFW (Video For Windows) system for playing back video such as you have there. Technically I have no idea what that really means but I do know that I have seen this problem on other forums. Additionally many software manufacturers claim 64bit compatibility but that may not be "fully" accurate.

DV.avi can be played and created using a codec as such and that is why the software reported the Sony codec to you. In reality DV.avi is uasually manipulated using a series of filters within the DirectX... which just made me think of something!

Go to the Microsoft site and find the DirectX update page (good luck!) download and install the latest DirectX drivers. Ignore the fact that the version shown may be the same as the version showing on your computer. They have the nasty habit of updating but not changing the file name and it is not part of the usual Windows update service!

Then take a look at the footage again and see what happens.

Thanks again, I tried the DirectX update (I found the page quite easily). A part of DirectX did install.

I ran directXdiag (Iam using DirectX 10) but cant find what actually updated??

But unfortunatley.......has not made any changes.

I have been having no end of problems since upgrading to Vista 64!!!!!! I only did it so I could chuck shit loads or ram into my PC. I have programs that are no longer supported, I also am running 2x250Gb hard drives in Raid 0 and vista decides from time to time to make one of my partitions readonly!!! ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the rant but this is really frustrating the hell out of me.

I am gonna play around with it a bit more tonite, me is seriously thinking of going back to good old reliable, trustworthy and stable XP...

I have to agree on the conclusion regarding going back to XP. I almost upgraded to Vista also because of the RAM handling then started to see the Vista problems begin to surface on the video forums... I have held off since.

Between Vista and 64bit there is probably something on your systems that is bugging this and finding it would be nearly impossible or at least ridiculously time consuming.

Let's face it you are not trying to manipulate some exotic video file with bizarre parameters or codecs! It is bog standard DV.avi for heavens sake! Should be a walk in the park.

I can't think of anything else to try at the moment but if I do I'll post back here. Good luck!

I run a digital recording studio as well as play around with video.
    Everything works fine for me on XP on both accounts. Vista for my purposes turned out to be a nightmare.
    Tried it...Don't like it...XP for me.

I was reluctant about moving over to Vista aswell, I thought I was an XP die hard but through counselling and an XP substitute I was eventually weaned off it. I've had no problems with it, just getting the correct drivers was a bit of a pain in the early days but everything is fine now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast