Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chasing Ghosts

Default Chasing Ghosts

Hey all, this is my new video for the artist Tiger Lilly and her track 'Chasing Ghosts.' Shot over a few hours in a forest close to Slough, we were almost bitten to death by all the bugs around.

It is once again a little different to some of our previous work. We did have a smoke machine which was very temperamental on the day, in fact there is only 1 or 2 shots that you can see smoke in. It was a real shame because the smoked up light looked incredible as it broke thought the trees. Oh well, maybe on the next one!

If you have a spare few moments I would appreciate any feedback or criticism.

Cheers,

Jim
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Blog Entries

Nice Job!

I agree though that something's missing. Maybe the smoke would have added another dimension. I would get a few white smoke flares next time, it really is worth it rather than mucking about with a small smoke machine. I've also spent hours trying to get the "sun rays streaming through the trees look" and found that early morning is the best time as the ground is cool and tends to keep the smoke down low. The light also tends to be at a nice angle through the trees. Once the day gets going and the wind picks up....

I feel (just my opinion) that your singer could have done with a bit of fill lighting. A reflector from the front. How can I put this tactfully....um... she's not a teenager and her laugh-lines could have done with a bit more "fill" for my taste. Maybe even adding a weak soft filter (the Soft Gold from Formatt is particularly good with small chip camcorders) just to knock a few years off.

Hopefully, if she's your girlfriend, you don't mind me saying that.

Anyway... Bottom line... Excellent work Fingercuff, you should be chuffed with that. It's really well shot and edited.

Thanks for the information Guru, will certainly look into the products you mentioned. Our smoke machine is pretty good but the really problem was the mobile generator that powered it kept cutting out.

Its cool, she isn't my girlfriend! lol! My actual girlfriend loves photography and always comes along to our shoots to document the day.

We screened this video at BAFTA (in the Princess Anne thearte)on Monday night which was amazing. I won't lie to you though, I was shitting myself. I have been to a few events this year where my work is playing but this one was really tense.

I was mainy worried about the quality of the video when it was projected up on the big sceen but it was actually fine and went down very well with the crowd. Bizzarrely David Van Day from 'Dollar' and 'I'm a celebrity get me outta here' fame turned up. Bit weird that.

Blog Entries

Sorry Jim, I didn't think it worked. I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit less tactful than Guru here. The sound, images, look, feel - everything about the video was that of a young wistful Gwyneth Paltrow type and the talent just didn't fit the look. I realise that sounds terribly ageist and I'm embarrassed at having said it.

I think it didn't help that the "ghost" character looked so much younger than her.

If I were shooting it and wanted a similar look, with the benefit of having seen your film, I might think about having a younger looking girl playing the female role and Tiger Lilly, still in the forest with exactly the same look, but looking on (singing, playing etc). This might have a nice ambiguity - is she observing another couple and superimposing her own life on them or is she actually observing herself in flashback?

Nevertheless, it was up to your usual standard shots & execution wise (a bit too much steadycam for my taste, but I think I'm destined always to say that to you ) In particular I thought you coped with the high contrast in the forest exceptionally well - it must have been an exposure nightmare. And yes, I can see exactly how the smoke would have helped.

And if it's good enough for BAFTA to screen - well what do my comments count?
    Last edited by TimStannard; 07-17-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: correction Jim/Guru
    Tim

Well What can I say,
    Very atmospheric, nicely shot...Not in love with the tune, although we are talking videos and not music here. The girl does look a little older than her counterpart which might have been overcome with a little manipulation.

Too much steadicam for my liking (Been a tripod man for too many years).
    Ignore that comment. I was shooting band videos on film in the 70/80s and styles change.

Not too much negative, mostly positive. In my humble view, a nice job.

Pity about the smoke machine

Alan

6. Default

Really good. But in my opinion it lacked something. Something not techical, but more emotional. I mean, I see a girl who sings and a guy who stands. I believe it would have been a good idea to put more action to represent emotion. For example, they could walk together by a shore of a river, play hide and seek and the guy would appearantly be gone, so she becames alone... I dont know, thats my opinion :p

Thanks for the comments guys. Really appreciate you taking the time to view my work.

Solway - I think you are right about the stedicam. I love the shot revolving around the tree but it may have been interesting to try something else for the 2nd chorus. I'm surprised how smooth those shots turned out because the ground was so uneven (lots of roots sticking out). I wish I had some more smoke in there!

Pistukas - Its a bit of a fine line we tread as I have never personally been a fan of cheese in music videos. I didn't really want the 2 characters to touch, apart from the end, showing there is no connection or love there anymore. He intentional ignores her as a character. We also did not want to portray him as a ghost literally (disapearing into thin air).

Hi Jim, no criticism from me, was beautifully shot. Although i'm very inexperienced compaired to a lot of folk on here, nevertheless, i liked it. Couple of questions for you, did you use and lighting or reflecters at all on the shoot? Or was it all done using natural lighting? Also, can you tell me what program/codecs etc you used to compress this video for the Internet? I have always wondered what the best method was for this.

Thanks, and well done.

Colin

Hi Colin,

We did use a light reflector at times but most of it was natural lighting. Our 35mm adaptor proved its worth on this project.

I did not make the file personally. My buddy Jamie made the online material. I believe it was either done on Final Cut Pro or MPEG streamclip. As for the codec, not to sure. Sorry for not being more helpful on that!

Thanks for that Jim, have just downloaded MPEG streamclip, it looks a great little program. I use Adobe Premiere Pro for editing, just getting to know the ins and outs of the program, bit rusty with editing.
    Can i ask you one further question please? How do you synch the music to the girl singing on the film? Always wondered how that was done.

Colin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast