Thread: Camcorders that record direct to mov/wmv/avi

Default Camcorders that record direct to mov/wmv/avi

I need to buy camcorder for recording university lectures which will then be uploaded to the web.

Forgive me if I'm being a bit dim here (I know nothing about camcorders) but do the new HDD/SD type camcorders record to formats such as mov, wmv, avi etc? i.e. a format I can grab via usb or SD card and dump straight into Sorenson Squeeze for trimming and conversion to flv and mp4?

If so do you have any camera suggestions?

Picture quality wouldn't need to be top notch because the films are destined only for the web at 450x253 flv and 320x240 mp4.

The camera would however need to be

1. Easy to use as I'd have to train students how to operate it
    2. Preferably under 500
    3. Preferably able to record in 16:9 widescreen
    4. Able to be mounted on a tripod
    5. Able to take an input from a lecture theatre audio mixing desk (I think it's XLR)

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Picture quality wouldn't need to be top notch because the films are destined only for the web at 450x253 flv and 320x240 mp4.
    I'm afraid most of the present camcorder records video in High Definition (.m2ts; .tp; .trp; .ts; .mp4; .wmv; .asf; .mpg; .vob; .mov; avi), like my Canon Eos 5D Mark II, which produces movies in 1920 * 1080 30p .mov

You can go to the BestBuy to have a look, there will be the one can meet your need.

As to the resolution and formats, don't worry, there're tons of 3rd party video converter which can convert the camcorder HD video into formats you want, personally I use this Video Converter Pro, fast and easy to use with great output quality, give it a shot you'll know what I mean.
    Last edited by amberain; 07-29-2009 at 05:08 AM.

Thanks amberain

After doing some research I'm now less concerned about the recording format (although I would prefer to avoid the AVCHD codec if at all possible as it just seems more hassle than it's worth). I have Sorenson squeeze and part of my workflow will be batch converting to the formats I need. So as long as the camera records to a format I can use in SS then that would be fine, the higher the quality the better.

What I do need though is the ability to drag and drop the video file from the camera to my PC without the need to 'capture' the footage. I have been advised that so long as I use a hard disk/USB/SD Card Camera it will eliminate that extra 'capturing' step.

So really I need to be looking at a camera that is

1. A Hard Disk camera under 750, preferably Under 500
    2. Has on board microphone input (jack or minijack would be fine)
    3. Good low level lighting/indoor recording capability
    4. Can be tripod mounted
    5. Can record widescreen 16:9
    Last edited by monstermunch; 07-29-2009 at 05:11 PM.

the new avchd cameras can normally record in SD as well as HD. if not you can always convert the files to SD.

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    the new avchd cameras can normally record in SD as well as HD. if not you can always convert the files to SD.
    That's kinda the problem. I can't afford that extra step in the workflow. I need to go from camera to Sorensen Sqeeze to output file in one step. It's all about speed and efficiency because of the shear volume of material I'll be working with.

I would be more than happy to use AVCHD if someone could give me a straight answer as to whether I can import AVCHD into Sorenson Squeeze. SS should be able to handle AVCHD, in fact I know that it does does, but some people have had problems depending on the type of camera they've used which is a little worrying.

i have some avchd file floating around somewhere on my mess of a hard drive if you want me to email you some footage then you can try it out.