Thread: split L&R audio

Default split L&R audio

Hi there ,

Im going to be renting a Sony PD 170 camera to film a live DJ event.

The sound quality of the video is very important so i planned to :-

Take a feed from the mixing desk in to the cameras Right channel input and

plug the camera`s mounted mic into the Left channel .

I am hoping the feed from the mixer will give me good sound from the DJ`s on stage and the Camera mic will pick up the crowd ambient noise etc...

Does this sound ok ?

Also once Iv uploaded the footage on to my PC will i be able to adjust the L&R levels to balance the sound properly and then export it to Mono so ill have a proper balanced sound track ????

Im new to this .. Which software would you reccomend .

Blog Entries

Sounds a very sensible way of doing it. If you're happy with mono then it should work as you anticipate.

A couple of "Gotchas" to watch out for.

If you're taking a single output from the mixer you might end up with just the left (or right) channel from the music so be careful to ensure that you get both left and right channels.
    Watch out for the sound levels weaving about all over the place from the mixer. DJs have a habit of going gradually deaf as the evening progresses and (no disrespect to DJs) tend to ride the sound levels with gay abandon. So, find out the maximum level the DJ says he will use, add at least 6db to it and set that.

As for the post production. All but the most basic editing softwares will allow you to split the stereo channels, balance the levels and then mix-down to mono. Failing that, Audacity is a free app which a lot of people like (I haven't used it but a lot of our regulars have). Sound Forge is an easy to use software which doesn't cost the earth (especially earlier versions such as 8.0 which will still do what you want) or Adobe Audition, earlier versions of which are cheap and will do all you want and more.

In your position, if you have the budget to add it to your rental requirements, I would think about going for a separate recorder for the mixer output. That way you're not connected by an umbilical cord (never a good idea where there are lots of people around) and are free to move. Also it means you can keep the production in stereo and not worry about only getting one (left or right) music track.

Warsop, Nottinghamshire.
    Blog Entries

Concur completely with Guru (of course!!!) - but I'd add that your on board mic may be an area to watch too. If you're moving about the sound will vary enormously as you approach speakers etc. And watch those levels - Get a soundcheck first off if you can to assess where you need to be with your ambient level.