Thread: trying to render quality to match source video - how?

Default trying to render quality to match source video - how?

hi,

ok so i'm a n00b when it comes to the specifics with rendering, i don't know what half the stuff means, and rather than wiki'ing absolutely every term i thought i'd come here first. I've taken 2 pics to try and show what i'm on about also.

so i put in a file i've recorded from my digital tuner, which is an mpeg 2 file, according to the 'avi codec' program. Here's the other info from 'avi codec' about the source clip:

Video : 964 MB, 3967 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 720*576 (4:3), MPG2 = MPEG 2 (SVCD/DVD), Supported

Now i dragged this into vegas trimmer, selected a random bit, dragged it into the timeline.
    Then i clicked on 'project properties' and selected the source file, to set the project property template.

Then i went to render as, default template, set video rendering quality to 'best', chose MainConcept MPEG-2, set quality video quality to the highest it goes on the bar, '31' and rendered it.

Here is the info from 'avi codec' about the source clip:

Video : 30 MB, 8000 Kbps, 25.0 fps, 720*576 (4:3), MPG2 = MPEG 2 (SVCD/DVD), Supported

The problem I have is the quality of the rendered clip just isn't as sharp as the source. It doesn't seem to matter what codec I try (uncompressed avi is too large in file size, xvid seems to put this weird white contrast layer ontop of the whole video, other codecs don't seem to make any difference).

I've attached 2 pics showing the difference in quality - you can see on the rendered file, it's not as sharp an image as the source, it blurs the image. If you look at the 'Fire Exit' symbol in the top left hand corner of the image, you can see its less clear on the rendered clip.

anyone know whats going wrong, and how to fix it?
    would really appreciate some help, ive spent ages fiddling around with the vegas settings trying to improve it but with no luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hoaooaaaa; 07-15-2009 at 12:23 AM.

Hey dude have you tried rendering the project in the Windows Media video v9 (*.wmv) format
    Just click the custom tab in the "Render As" dialogue box

Audio: 64 Kbps, 44,100 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo.
    Video: 29.970 fps, 720x480, Quality VBR 90, WMV V9 Compression.
    Video rendering quality good
    Mode Quality VBR
    Format WMV
    frame rate 29.970 (NTSC)
    And the Quality slider 3/4 too the right

I would play with some of these settings i found it hit and miss but the hunting and playing really helped ground me in the basics. Thats the settings i have been using and have seen no artifacts or drops in sharpness.
    Alternatively you could always try a sharp filter effect
    Every question is easy if you know the answer

does it re-encode your video? try some tools with smart rendering technique.

My thoughts are that you trying to render a file that in itself is a "delivery" format. Although good, you are then again, rendering out this delivery format to ANOTHER delivery format. I'm just wondering IF you had captured in full uncompressed and then edited and THEN made an MPEG (delivery format) if you would make that "fire" sign sharper? A reall big clue is that to start with the MPEG is 964mb and - is that final "render" size - 30mb(?).

I'm wondering is it is at all possible to render a delivery format into another delivery format without getting "softness"?