Thread: Filming the public

Question Filming the public

I want to record a few episodes where I go out and record public opinions in town/city centres across the UK.

What type of camcorder, and in particular microphone/audio, requirements do you think I will need?

I did a trial film session in Cheltenham with a JVC everio - this was a standard personal use camcorder.

The visual quality was ok, but the sound was awful as it picked up any bit of wind noise, and also filming people talking from a few feet away on such a camcorder is too quiet.

How do you think I could best go about picking up people's voices whom I am interviewing, whilst at the same time filming them from some feet away?

Bearing in mind I will be filming, and there will be an interviewer with me.

Many thanks in advance.

External mic will be best.

We've always used a shotgun because, well thats all we have but a dynamic mic may be better for this purpose.

Western Europe

An external microphone with a wind shield on it is what you need. One with a cable attached to it running back to the camera should do the job, much cheaper than wireless mic's. Bring a tripod along aswell if you can use it safely without someone falling over it.