Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hd crisis

Default Hd crisis

Hi guys,

Does anyone know the best way to downconvert HD footage in adobe CS3?

I have dipped into the back pocket for a Sony HVR HD 1000 camera and the footage on the preview monitor looks very nice in CS3.

I am trying to get the stuff onto a DVD and when played on any TV it looks really really bad. Grainy and flickery with all the straight lines looking 'blocky'

This is a bit of a nightmare i've burnt countless discs and cant find a suitable solution - I thought HD was meant to look nicer!!!!!!!

I looked at downconverting from the camera but that only does it in 4:3

I have no knowledge of HD or the best workflow for it and any help is much appreciated.

I would downconvert to avi (Premiere on Windows PC's loves avi files!), then edit the file and then burn an 'ordinary' dvd using the mpeg2 settings. Are you playing it back on a standard def tv or high def tv?

have you already edited somethingin hd?

when you export, export via Adobe Media Encoder and choose the AVI-DV widescreen preset.

Hi guys as of yet i've only laid down a few shots on the time line and burnt them to disc to see the improved quality of filming HD (which hasn't yet happened)

So you recommend capturing in HD then Exporting the footage as DV AVI Widescreen.

Will this effect the quality of the video? I dont want to sound to much like a wet willy but with everyone using HD cameras these days , is this the way its done when not exporting to blue ray?

Nikosony: I've watched it on a HD TV so far and it looked terrible

I have just a noticed that when capturing in CS3 the captured footage is saved as MPEG??? could this be an issue. My SD camera footage always captured in AVI

Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

Ok,

I've exported my captured HD footage to DV AVI Widescreen.

However as I expected there is a quality loss.

This could be a ridiculous question, but as a keen amateur please forgive my ignorance.

But when sticking HD footage on bog standard DVDs, is it perferable to downconvert to DV AVI to edit with.

I've been experimenting with exporting direct from the HD project to MPEG2 and when played on the ccomp it looks very nice?

Its just on the TV it looks duff

Thanks for the help guys

I misread your problem. If you start with HD footage you need to burn it to a Blu-Ray disc. It is pointless burning a HD movie from the timeline to an ordinary dvd disc as you will have to compress it so much, the quality will suffer.

I see,

So to clarify in my own mind.

If, like many HD camera users I decide to stick my HD footage onto a regular DVD - as I assume many still do. Then I need to export the HD footage into AVI first before exporting to MPEG 2.

Blog Entries

Not necessarily, it depends what system you have.

I shoot in HD and keep everything in HD, through the edit, until I'm ready to burn it to a DVD. With Final Cut I export the movie as a HD movie then down-convert it with imovie so that it can be burnt onto a SD DVD.

My missus, who works with Premiere also keeps everything in HD until the last stage when she exports it to SD DVD using the "Export to DVD" option.

Also, if you use other DVD burning software, you may find that it will down-convert from HD directly to MPEG2 when it burns the DVD.

As Nikosony points out, you will have a standard definition DVD though, not a HD picture.

I see, thankyou for the advice.

I realise that the 'HD' picture will be lost , however I am not too worried about that. Its just some of the tests I've done produce Awful pictures.

Its all a learning curve.

Cheers for all advice, If anyone has any other routes to SD please share.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starkie View Post

...some of the tests I've done produce Awful pictures.
    That's not right. it sounds like you've got an "extra" compression or conversion in there somewhere. In the best-case scenario everything stays as HD until you burn the DVD. Since you can burn directly from CS3's timeline you shouldn't need to go through the conversion to AVI and MPEG, CS3 should do that for you when you export to DVD.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast