Thread: Looking through photo album effects - Sony Vegas Pro 8

1. Default Looking through photo album effects - Sony Vegas Pro 8

Hello,

I am looking for advice to help with a project I want to start work one. Basically I want to create an effect of flicking through a photo album with each photo 'magically' coming to life and turning into a short video clip. Does anyone know the best way of achieving this in Vegas? As if a page is turned to reveal photo / video on next page.

Also, I want to create the effect of handwriting in real time comments underneath each photo. Does this mean having to write each letter in pro type titler separately and adding each after each other? There must be an easier way surely??

Any help, advice or inspiration gratefully received!

Matt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    ...Also, I want to create the effect of handwriting in real time comments underneath each photo. Does this mean having to write each letter in pro type titler separately and adding each after each other? There must be an easier way surely??...
    For this, use the masking tool. Get your text on screen. Mask it all out. Then, reveal by moving the mask at the times you want. I've done this a few times quite effectively.

3. Default

Cheers Andy - I am trying but can't get my head around it (just getting used to masking) - can you give me an idiots step-by-step guide to that??

Also, any ideas on the photo album effect? I've tried using Track Motion to make the clip photo sized on a photo album generated background and then applying a page turn transition but this obviously only turns the background image and not the Track Motion clip - is there a way of linking the two events together??

Is this still the best way to achieve this effect??

Blog Entries

Dealing with the mask first.

Create your text.
    Click on Event Pan Crop cursor.
    Tick 'Mask' (Under Position) in Event Pan / Crop Window.
    Select the pen (Anchor creation tool (D)) and (basic one here - add more points etc once you've seen how) Click 5 points - one at each corner of text, last one joining the ends..
    Select 'Negative' Mode.
    Move along the timeline.
    Create a Keyframe.
    Select Normal Edit Tool.
    Select one point and drag it to 'reveal' some text. (You may have to deselect all and then select one point only)
    Do the same again to another point.
    Play back - you'll see the mask move to reveal the text.

You can add feather effects and so on too.

All the best.

5. Default

I love this site - cheers for that Andy, going to get on and give that try tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    Dealing with the mask first.
    Does this imply you're also going to help with my photo album / page turning query??

Ever hopeful!!

Matt

Blog Entries

I keep meaning to check out Bixelangelo from the people who brought us the excellent BlufTitler. BluffTitler DX9: Realtime 3D Video Titling, Motion Graphics and VJ Effects (nor free but cheap)
    I've tended to use the method Andy describes, but one day, when I want something more complex...
    This may also solve your photo album challenge. Bix's photo book. I think it only works with stills but use a solid colour for your still then use chromakey to let your video show thorugh.

Just a couple of ideas...
    Tim

7. Default

Funnily enough downloaded a demo of that this arvo to see if it contains anything that may help - here's hoping after your reply

Actually, just realised it wasn't this software I downloaded a demo of but Spicemaster (here's hoping that does it too but not sure yet??)
    Last edited by Goldfinger; 07-12-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Mistake

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
    ..Does this imply you're also going to help with my photo album / page turning query??...
    Someone with far better explanatory skills and knowledge will probably do that better than me....