Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: video capture device and camera not configured correctly?

Default video capture device and camera not configured correctly?

I have been using a JVC GR-D70U mini DV camcrder for over 4 years. It is connected via a 1394 IEEE firewire cable to PC from the camera. The OS is windows xp. I have been successfully importing video via Movie Mker capture/ Nero and Sonic. Just recently (back in May) I have been having capture problems. The camera will playback and I can control the playback from wMM. When I start to capture, the file size jumps to 5 KB, does not increase. I can pause tape, restart play, but when I stop capture and click to finish, I get an error message - "The video was not captured correctly. Verify that your video camera and capture device are configured properly." I have changed nothing, the IEEE remains stationery in PC, (tried a new cable). Cannot try in another PC, only have the one with the firewire. Any suggestions, I've been searching web for any clues...
    One time, some ridiculous power on sequence worked, have since tried to repeat, only worked the one time.
    Can anyone help??

Can you try some other video editor other than WMM? You can download 30 day trials of most editing software from their respective websites and try them out. Look for Sony Vegas and Adobe Premiere Elements 7. Or you can download a freeware application that will just capture your video and it is called WinDV-123. Try it and see if it works.

Thanks, I'll try Sony Vegas first and keep my fingers crossed. Windows movie maker/Nero Vision Express and Sonic DLA all worked without problems prior to May. I'm usually good at solving issues, but this one has me stumped.

Also download the latest video and audio codecs for Windows XP, defragment the hard disk and disable any utilities or screensavers or just about anything that may be running during the capture process. Some background items can have an affect on capture.

Where is the best place to download codecs? Tried Sony Vegas, same response as Movie maker/ Nero and Sonic

Also did a defrag, and I will disable running utilities and try again. Thanks for your help

The k-lite codec packs are good.

Installing each codec seperatly is better though, there are less compatibility problems doing it like that.

Havew you tried using a new firewire cable?

Blog Entries

Two possiblities spring to mind here. Since you state you've tried a new cable it may be a faulty socket on the camera - not a rare occurence by any means and often caused by hot plugging. No way to test that other than to try on another PC.

Second idea is basic but maybe worth a try. System Restore back to April. Something may have been installed thats screwing your capturing up. If that fails I think it's most likely the camera socket, as it would be unusual for s/w to just pack up in the way you've described. Especially since you've tried other s/w too.

Cannot restore earlier than June, so system restore is out. What is hotplugging? If problem is camera socket, is this an easy fix? Will try to find a friend with a firewire port on their computer. All of these suggestions are helpful. One solution I found involved a power on sequence that allowed me to import video, but when I tried to repeat sequence, would not work again.

Blog Entries

Hot-plugging is plugging or unplugging while the camera is switched on. There is a chance of voltage hopping the pins and shorting out the socket on the camera. It's far from rare, and an expensive repair.

One way around it is to buy a super cheap DV camera (my local secondhand store sells them from fifty quid upwards these days) and use that to capture from. Also saves wear and tear on your decent 'recording' camera too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast