Thread: First Video attempt

Default First Video attempt

Hope this is okay for a first bash!!!

Sorry don't know to upload direct to this site

Blog Entries

It was refreshing to see a music video in the more "traditional" style. This is the sort of film that might have accompanied a song in the late 60's/early 70's (obviously not of the psychadelic kind).

A pretty good mix of shots and generally I thought the pace was just about right (although one or two shots held a little too long - be careful of "schenery shots in partucular - I thought the one at around 1:55 stood out as being way too long.

I think you could be a bit more daring with angles and closeups to give yourself an even greater variety. I liked the gradual progression to closer and closer shots of the singer, but you could have gone right in to frame just above the eyes to just below the mouth or even just the mouth.

I wasn't sure about the shots of the singer laughing. Clearly it's there to provide a bit of contrast with the more serious side of him singing/in thought. In particular the shot after the one previously mentioned went on too long and he started to appear self conscious.

Tripod on external shots. Obviously. Even if only to provide some contrast to the handheld look. Or possibly make it look a bit more handheld (though I'm personally nmot a great fan of that technique). As it is it looks like someone trying really hard to make a handheld shot look steady.

There was a problem on the sync wth the singing. I'd put this down to YouTube, but other cuts seemed to be bang on time with the music so I'm not too sure.

Reading back the above seems all negative which seems unfair. I really enjoyed the film and my comments are only meant to indicate areas I personally would look at for possible improvements.

It's more than OK for a first bash
    Tim

Thanks for your honest input Tim. Really appreciated.
    I maybe haven'y been 100% honest in the true sense as the video wasn't my first attempt at this sort of thing. I worked in television with film in the 70s and 80 shooting music videos professionally.

However, I'm now a bit of an old Geezer and its the first time using this video stuff. I wanted to find out how dated my approach is and you've covered some pertinent points. Thanks for that....

I'll have to look at ways of bringing myself into the 21st century.

Very different from the usual style of 'music video' that is posted on here so it makes a welcome change. The pace was good for the song, maybe a few shots in the studio setting up and getting ready would have been nice in black and white and then we could see the exterior shots. The exteriors were shot without a tripod and the shots in the studio were done using a tripod, you can see the change very easily. I would have let the song finish and then fade to black (Old Grey Whistle Test, they let the artist finish, hold for a few seconds and then back to Bob Harris), I thought someone had dimmed the studio lights near the end as it got dark.

I agree with a lot of the points here, some of the shots linger too long for my liking. Especially on the singer in the studio towards the end, a bit more variety in the studio shots would have been good.

But on the whole, very impressed especially if you've been out of the video scene for that long.

Thanks Nik and Clay, Points taken on board.
    In hind sight maybe I should have looked at a few modern music videos first before attempting an old fashioned/traditional approach.

I took early retirement in 1980 when ENG and outside filming stuff was all film, You'd be hard pressed to find a video camera anywhere in the industry at that time.

I ain't making excuses, I agree with most of what you've all said. Its a matter of changing/updating my style

Maybe I need to go back to news ands docs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    In hind sight maybe I should have looked at a few modern music videos first before attempting an old fashioned/traditional approach.
    Please don't. It felt fresh.
    Tim

Your a Gentleman Tim