Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let me know what you think of my short film...

Default Let me know what you think of my short film...

A short film that uses animation, time-lapse and a bit of old video footage.

Please let me know what you think...

- lewis

I certainly enjoyed watching that, good combination of animation, time lapse, film clips and other effects. It had a Terry Gilliam feel to it, was expecting the large foot to come down out of the clouds and squash the little boy. Is it meant to be slightly unsettling aswell? Maybe it's just me but the seagulls made me think it was on the slightly darker side of humour. Well done, must have taken ages to do.

Very impressive, I liked the subtle humour in the voice over and the bizarre mix of video and animation. What were lessons 1-15?

cheers man, yeah it the slightly unsettling feel was kind of intended. I shot a lot of the stuff in the winter when the beaches were completely empty and the whole place had a very odd feel about it. It took about 8 months to make from the ideas stage to completing it but it was good fun, lots of sitting on the beach for hours on end doing time-lapses.

Quote Originally Posted by clay_9 View Post
    Very impressive, I liked the subtle humour in the voice over and the bizarre mix of video and animation. What were lessons 1-15?
    glad you like it! Lessons 1-15 are great... everything from 'at the tobaconist' to 'in the bedroom' it would be good to try and make another one but i don't have much time at the moment unfortunately.

Blog Entries

You've restored my faith in the ability of the educational system to nurture at least some talent. Previous samples posted here by people doing degree courses have been, shall we say, lacking.

This was excellent. Congrats. What did you get?

I enjoyed the script - although it's very hard to script this without it sounding very "Little Britain". This at least had some "touching memories" feel of Jenny Agutter in The Railway Children.

The voice was good too. It's not as easy as you may think as I found out in my own "Early 60's Pathe News" type thing when I got my stepson to do it. Not a patch on this attempt and he's a superb mimic.

But the mix of film/time lapse and animation was very good and has a distinctive style. Hard to come by these days. Well done and I wish you all the best in your future productions, whether you make a crarreer out of it or just do it for fun.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You've restored my faith in the ability of the educational system to nurture at least some talent. Previous samples posted here by people doing degree courses have been, shall we say, lacking.

This was excellent. Congrats. What did you get?

I enjoyed the script - although it's very hard to script this without it sounding very "Little Britain". This at least had some "touching memories" feel of Jenny Agutter in The Railway Children.

The voice was good too. It's not as easy as you may think as I found out in my own "Early 60's Pathe News" type thing when I got my stepson to do it. Not a patch on this attempt and he's a superb mimic.

But the mix of film/time lapse and animation was very good and has a distinctive style. Hard to come by these days. Well done and I wish you all the best in your future productions, whether you make a crarreer out of it or just do it for fun.
    Hi Tim,
    Thanks so much for the positive feedback. I got a 1st for the film and just about scraped a 1st for my overall degree, it was a big relief after starting the course 3 years ago with pretty my no knowledge of animation or filmmaking.

Unfortunately I cannot take much credit for the script as the voiceover was something I discovered in an archive of old english language recordings (I hope this doesn't change your opinion of my film). I began the process of making this film back in september and had a good idea of the voiceover that I wanted but I didn't actually find it until March, it was well worth waiting for though. I had to edit the recording and restructure it to make it work for the film but the brilliant content of it was a joy to work with.

Thanks again,

- Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lewisdarby View Post
    Unfortunately I cannot take much credit for the script as the voiceover was something I discovered in an archive of old english language recordings (I hope this doesn't change your opinion of my film).
    Amazing! It sounds so tongue in cheek in places. Doesn't change my opinion of the film though.
    Tim

What software did you use to do the time lapse captures or was it done using a camcorder?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    What software did you use to do the time lapse captures or was it done using a camcorder?
    I captured all the time-lapse with a Digital SLR and imported it as a jpeg sequence in After Effects. In quite a few of the shots I had to mask off the sky and have it as a separate layer to the foreground so I could edit their colours, contrast etc. independently.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast