Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help testing a web tool for directors!

Default Help testing a web tool for directors!

Hello guys and gals, I've spent the last 12 months designing and developing a tool I hope will empower directors and others that are in the media industry!

Basically it is a place where you can store your media, hosting them as a showreel or just single files that you may need to zip along to someone, the idea stemmed from a situation where I was at an edit and the client was a million miles away, getting a courier was just not fast enough. So I built yourreels.tv at first to tackle this! And it does, in three easy steps 1. log in, 2. upload, 3. share

So I would love it if you could all help, use the service for free, enjoy it and please, give me feedback!

Thanks a million!

Naz.
    me@nazimjamil.com
    yourreels.tv (beta 2.0)

Blog Entries

Hi Naz.

Don't wish to sound unkind but - If that's the result of a years work - I'd pack it in. Clicking on 'About' opens a blank box, clicking on Showreel Hosting doesn't do anything at all and the opacity of your sign up box needs looking at - the text underneath is very offputting.

The aims of the site seem good - but my guess is that 99% of content providers have their own sites where they can direct customers to so they can preview work. Not entirely sure there's a big market for this?

Hi Andy, nah you're not being unkind at all, I need the feedback, and it's weird that the About box is empty, since it works across the board here, but the Opacity issue, I defiantly see your point!

I'm doing some updates at the moment so hopefully others will see this thread, test and give feedback!

Naz.

Blog Entries

The 'About' box is now readable.

Blog Entries

One other point - 'I's' and 'We's'. I might be a pedant, but when I see phrases like 'We offer blah blah blah' and later in the same sentence I see 'I will keep it free etc' it just indicates your a one man band that's in wannabe mode, ie pretending to be a big organisation. Be honest throughout is my advice.

I also (now I can see your projected pricing) think you're WAY too expensive. For a helluva lot less, my hosting allows 12GB transfer a month inclusive. For less than 30 PER YEAR. So, who's going to pay a minimum of 120 per year for your service?
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 07-10-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Well that is the first I've heard of the 'one man band that's in wannabe mode' It's completely wrong though, the internet is a place where one man can harness the global productivity like crowd sourcing, getting in contact with other freelancers, completing whole projects using the internet the list can go on. There are numerous cases where one man has started something and it has bloomed like nothing else, open source initiatives for example. So, in this instance, I'm going to strongly disagree with you!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nazimjamil View Post
    Well that is the first I've heard of the 'one man band that's in wannabe mode' It's completely wrong though, the internet is a place where one man can harness the global productivity like crowd sourcing, getting in contact with other freelancers, completing whole projects using the internet the list can go on. There are numerous cases where one man has started something and it has bloomed like nothing else, open source initiatives for example. So, in this instance, I'm going to strongly disagree with you!
    It's the image you project that's important is the point I'm making. Is it a WE or an I? If you are a go it alone entrepeneur, be honest, dont pepper the site with 'We's' to make it sound like your bigger or better than you really are. Or, stick with 'I's and be honest with your customers.

Andy, come on, the opening statement starts with "What do we do?" and "I" only appears once, in a closing paragraph, there is nothing dishonest here, yourreels.tv has had input form various sources including yourself, and that creates the "we" credit to the community, and their users, users until the beta phase is over. Great platforms are built on honesty and honesty is the foundation of what I'm doing.

Blog Entries

I said I am a pedant. . Just an observation from my pov. Take it or leave it of course!

Yep! It is always good to get another POV! I want to reword the about text soon, will give you a poke when it's done

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast