Thread: Basic question - moving a lot of clips at once in Vegas 8

Default Basic question - moving a lot of clips at once in Vegas 8

Hello all.

I use to use earlier versions of Vegas (6) but have not used it in a while. So now that I am back into video editing, I am having some trouble using Vegas 8.

I remember back in Vegas 6, to move a lot of clips at once all I had to do was right click, highlight all the clips/titles I wanted to move, unclick and then move them.

For whatever reason, I am not able to do this in Vegas 8. The only way to move more than one clip is to go to edit cut and then re paste them. Takes a lot longer when you have to constantly move around lots of clips.

Anyone to set it back to how it was in Vegas 6?

Thanks for your time.

Blog Entries

A couple of ways - change your cursor to selection tool, highlight an area, go back to normal cursor and move everything you've selected - or - CTRL (edit - damn - or is it shift? can't remember..!) and click each item, then hold and move. Make sure nothing's locked though, because then it won't move.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Another quick question. How do I deselect the "Selection Edit Tool" button? Oddly, clicking on it doesn't go back to the default mouse button.

I was ok with the UI change, but this just makes video editing a lot slower. Any idea why they changed it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ABC190 View Post
    ..I was ok with the UI change, but this just makes video editing a lot slower.
    It honestly doesn't. Once you get used to it, it's just as quick. There are keyboard shortcuts if clicking on the button doesn't return it to normal (I'm not at home and are rubbish at remembering which is which) but just check the help file.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    It honestly doesn't. Once you get used to it, it's just as quick. There are keyboard shortcuts if clicking on the button doesn't return it to normal (I'm not at home and are rubbish at remembering which is which) but just check the help file.

Yeah, I just found the click D for each mode and control D to reset. It is not that bad, but I really preferred the older style. Do you happen to know of any setting in the preferences that can change the control layout to resemble that of older versions?

I'll take a look at the help file as well.

Edit: Would you happen to know if Movie Studio 9 uses the older style layout? If it does, I wouldn't mind getting it as I can get it for cheap (think I saw it on sale for $50 at Frys).
    Last edited by ABC190; 07-09-2009 at 08:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    CTRL (edit - damn - or is it shift? can't remember..!)
    Andy, it's standard Windows selection (works in virtually ALL Windows apps)

Click one end of a series of items, shift click the other and both items plus all the items in between will be selected.

Ctrl-Click toggles on/off selection of the item you're ctrl-clicking on.

It's one of the few shortcuts I remember so it shouldn't surprise me so many people either forget or are not aware of these.

And, going OT, the other useful shortcut I remember which seems to astound people is WindowsKey+E brings up Windows Explorer.

I often think I should set myself just one shortcut a week to learn. It would be SO easy. But I never seem to get around to it. Ho hum...
    Tim

Can someone explain how I use the "shift method"?

I am amazed that how years ago I was able to figure this out in seconds and now I've spent around 40 minutes with no luck with the "shift method".

I am also using Vista 64 bit now, last time I used it I was on XP so maybe it is different on Vista?

I also have another quick question. For some reason, I can't set the opacity for certian video clips via the mouse. How can I fix this?
    Last edited by ABC190; 07-10-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Default a quick question

Hello, im trying to move only 1 clip at a time, whenever i try to move a clip, it moves all the clips to the right of it, but i only want to move 1, does anyone know how to fix this.
    It could be called unlocking clips or ungrouping clips...
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shaneanator View Post
    Hello, im trying to move only 1 clip at a time, whenever i try to move a clip, it moves all the clips to the right of it, but i only want to move 1, does anyone know how to fix this.
    It could be called unlocking clips or ungrouping clips...
    Thanks
    Turn ripple edit off. (One of the buttons on the toolbar)
    Tim

There's also a Help button too.