Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: corel videostudio simple but jerky aaaarrggh

Default corel videostudio simple but jerky aaaarrggh

I can't get vegas to even play my clips. god knows why. So my heart momentarily lifted when I downloaded the free trial of videostudio. looks simple and straight forward. Guess what ? it plays all the clips jerky.

Why in the name of all that keeps sanity can no-one make a simple software to edit footage in HD avchd!
    I tried a search and no joy because my clips play fine in pmb.
    Alex

Blog Entries

A preview in a video editor is a totally different beast to a video player.

There's more to it than this, much more than I'd care to understand, but:

It has to uncompress each frame (an in the case of AVCHD only 1 in 15 frames is able to be uncompressed on its own - the other 14 all contain only the differences to the original) and apply all the treatments/effects you have applied to the clips (even if you haven't applied any) so that it is presented to you in a form that you can edit, frame by frame if you so desire.

Video playing software simply has to play it back in a form that can be viewed (so it still has to uncompress, but that's about all)

EDIT: And I should have said that Vegas IS capable of doing what you ask. It just needs a very powerful and very fast machine.
    Tim

Really!!! So you mean the slightly (can you tell Im looking relieved ) video playback is just like that for editing and when its saved will play fine? probably.
    Like a jpeg thumbnail it just "represents" the clip?
    If so I'm a happy bunny....
    THank you for taking the time to post . You may have saved me hours of hassle and another restless night! you beauty
    alex

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alexleominster View Post
    Really!!! So you mean the slightly (can you tell Im looking relieved ) video playback is just like that for editing and when its saved will play fine? probably.
    Absolutely. Probably!
    Clearly a smoother playback makes editing easier and a sharper playback makes tuning of colours and masking easier, but the chances of getting something to play smoothly AND clearly are slim.
    With Vegas you can adjust the preview playback quality. So, when I want to position cuts precisely on beats to the music (or whatever), I'll choose a lower quality picture in order to keep the frame rate up, because timing is critical.
    When I want to mask out a face or number plate or I want to add an effect to disguise "noise" in the picture, I'll set the quality to best as I'm generally working one frame at a time.

When you come to render the project though, the quality will be fine (assuming you set a good quality in your rendering template).

Beware - rendering can take some time. (But it has to be done as that's where you're working with the REAL film.
    Tim

Cool, I've had another play and what you say make sense... I cant find the button to "share to internet" (probably not on the demo version) but I guess thats where it will render the video ?
    After a couple of plays I must admit that video studio is a lot more understandable than vegas...
    I was really keen to make sure I could use it before I have to cough up my 58 and buy the bloomin thing...
    Alex

Don't forget to select Smart Proxy in Corel, you can specify the resolution of the Proxy files to make your playback smoother remember though the proxy files are only temporary and will be replaced with the original files once you out put the final video, another thing I have found is don't use "Mpeg optimiser" or "smart render", you will find the later under options, after you select "Share" these 2 output methods work OK with standard mpg but not AVCHD, it will however slow your rendering down but the results will be worth it.
    Bryan

Hey Wandering,
    I was in Nelson visiting friends a couple months back. what a bloomin lovely place . stunning scenery eh?
    THanks for the advice , preciate it.
    Im Finding Corel ok...I think. My plan is to find a way to "save" the project in a way thaty will upload wit good quality to Vimeo.
    I'm trying to think "innovative" but having a job getting past regular at the moment.
    all advice is always welcome as I am finding editing a minefield.. If I was down nelson way I'd love to meet for a coffee at one of your many beaut little cafes but unfortunately back in drizzly uk now...
    alex

Hi Alex,
    Yes it would be good to catch up when you are next over, the weather at the moment is cool and sunny, I unfortunately am not to sunny I was pruning a fruit tree and fell of the ladder so am nursing a broken arm. and trying to type left handed.
    When I put stuff on Vimeo I always output it as HDV 720P and set the bit rate to around 35000kbps I then use SuperC to recompress to mp4 (H264) at 5000kbps, I've also started using Youtube HD it does an excelent job and convertes much faster than Vimeo, I've also got more hits on Youtube,
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by wandering-free View Post
    Hi Alex,
    Yes it would be good to catch up when you are next over, the weather at the moment is cool and sunny, I unfortunately am not to sunny I was pruning a fruit tree and fell of the ladder so am nursing a broken arm. and trying to type left handed.
    When I put stuff on Vimeo I always output it as HDV 720P and set the bit rate to around 35000kbps I then use SuperC to recompress to mp4 (H264) at 5000kbps, I've also started using Youtube HD it does an excelent job and convertes much faster than Vimeo, I've also got more hits on Youtube,
    Bryan
    Bryan,
    Bugger about the arm. :( I am going to try and follow your lead on this one ( Not on the pruning ) and put my vid when its done on both vimeo and youtube. I did put a test 10 seconds of not much on youtube in hd and wasn't over impressed with quality although the image i put up maybe wasn't a good test.
    Whats SuperC btw is that another software?
    Alex

Hi Alex This link will take you to the website
    SUPER &copy
    don't download the AVS Encoder just dredge though all the spiel and you will find the download after a few false starts, they don't make it easy to find, I'll put a link to Vimeo and Youtube one is just a shortened version of the other both done on SuperC and Corel
    Bryan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast