Thread: PAL to NTSC

Default PAL to NTSC

Have been asked to send a DVD (or two) to the US so that some US coaches can assess my daughter's basketball skills for possible admission to colleges over there.

I have a few games (those I was allowed to record) on PAL DVD (cos I live in PAl land). So my question is either will a typical dude or dudette in the US be able to play/watch a PAL DVD (like we do NTSC) or should I convert them in some way?

Assuming I need to convert (and may do just to make sure I get no problems) what's thge easiest way to re-encode them? import the VOBs into an NTSC project and export (using Adobe premiere Pro CS4) or just recapture teh PAL tapes and import those into an NTSC project? or is there a better way?

Cheers Alan

They can watch them on any PC, Their region free. They do make region free dvd players but there not as common. I would just burn some NTSC copies to be safe.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

if you still have the masters just make a simple NTSC dvd in nero or something like that.

I still have the original camera tapes so would have to recapture. not too much hassle for the 'hoped for' end result.

Just wondered if there was a short cut is all. worth a try.

Pre Pro 4.1 readme file mentioned VOB files so maybe I can inport them into an NTSC project. I'll try that asn see what comes it. The good news here si that it's not the video quality thats being scrutinised but my daughter's skills as a basketball player

Cheers

Alan

I know you import DVDs with sony vegas, I would think others have the import feature as well
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

here is something you can try, start a ntsc project and load the palvideo into the bin, Right click and interprete asNTSC then resize accordingly.

This way the PAL file is comming inported asNTSC.At worst you should get a video clip thats a tad fast, To fix that write down the length of the pal version to the second and slow down the new clip to match that lenth to the second.

Second, make a pal project inport normally and export as NTSC, i know one of those will work and one wont, but i forget.

I DID THESE KIND OF CONVERSIONS BEFORE, but since what you need is just a recode i would even suggest bypassing premiere for such a task being that you dont need editing.

I know for a fact that TMPEG will do this flawlessly along with PROCODER as well. have used both for such a task with perfect results...

This is an excerpt from something I found on line some time ago, not my own !! Maybe it might work
    Last edited by 377sps; 07-08-2009 at 10:23 PM.

TV Standard: NTSC is 30 fps. It's used in USA, Canada and Japan. PAL is 25 fps and it's used in Europe and Asia.If you can't play the DVD,you should convert the TV standard with DVD Creator program which can convert the NTSC to PAL or PAL to NTSC. It's easy to use,I am sure you can get it.
    Last edited by bluesky11; 07-10-2009 at 09:11 AM.