Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: basic video editing setup

Default basic video editing setup

Hi

I have various software at my disposal like media studio pro 8 and premiere pro. I was looking to buy a dual core motherboard with 4gb ram various sized hdd but was wondering on a basic video capture card with real time. Someone mentioned buy the the matrox G450 or 550 plus have a nivida 512mb graphics card built into motherboard. Would this give me good contol over the editing without juddering and jumping.

Any advise would be great

What type of video do you intend editing? Do you have a mini dv or high def camera you want to connect to your computer?

Mini dv. i have a radeon 9250 128mb graphics card on exisitng pc, my pc ram was 256mb and I used get major stuttering. I upgraded ram to 1gb and it ran much smoother. So I almost assume could just buy a new motherboard, dual core proc and new ram and just use this exisiting graphics card.

But I have been told about this matrox

you will need a new graphics card as they don't make motherboards with the agp interface anymore.

all you need is a computer with a firewire port.

an intel pentium dual core will work well at a good price. i also recommend 2gbs+ of ram

I have a firewire card pci slot I think. what spec is good now for a standard setup using mini dv, media studio pro or premier pro.

a bit dated but yes you could use that without any problems although i do recommend you do a fresh install of windows and get a dedicated graphics card (not onboard).

dated lol.... my current pc is P4 not even dual core.

Blog Entries

There's such alot of complete bollocks talked about PCs for editing. I am at this moment editing high def on an old Pentium 4 3Ghz with - wait for it 512mb of ram, onboard graphics and guess what? It's fine. Preview only ever gets jerky if I stack up effects. The hard drives are all external, one on firewire, five others on USB. So take the Smifis of this world and ignore them. Just get the best you can afford and try to buy something that is future proof as much as possible.

Andy, I think you've thrown down a challenge here, try and edit high def video on the lowest spec computer you own or can lay your hands on. I have a 4 year old laptop lying in the garage. Hasn't been used in ages, might need to jump start it but maybe it might just go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast