Thread: Replacing part of a scene with something else

Default Replacing part of a scene with something else

I'm fairly new to video editing and there is something that seems quite basic that I'd like to do, but a lot of searching in various tutorials and this forum hasn't helped (possible as I don't know what the correct search terms to use are). What I want to do is take a moving shot of the beach with the sea in the background, and replace the sea with something else (maybe woods or whatever, doesn't matter really). I know how to do this using still images but is there a way with moving video? I'd like to pan across the scene and still have the effect.

It would seem a pretty basic thing to do but I'm getting the feeling it actually isn't. I'm guessing that maybe it's something I'd need to do frame by frame. If this is the case, I think I know how but I'd appreciate being told the best function to use for such an effect please.

I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio 9 Platinum Pro.

Many thanks,
    Geoff.

Hmmm....

Well, IF, the sea is a consistently blue-ish and is differently colourised enough to the land-colour, then you could possibly employ a Chroma Key Fx. Once you do that you could place your alternative footage on a lower track and have it "appear" through the now removed Chroma Key-out regions.

I have done this most successfully with clear blue skies. Works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    Hmmm....

Well, IF, the sea is a consistently blue-ish and is differently colourised enough to the land-colour, then you could possibly employ a Chroma Key Fx. Once you do that you could place your alternative footage on a lower track and have it "appear" through the now removed Chroma Key-out regions.

I have done this most successfully with clear blue skies. Works a treat.

It wouldn't work with the sea in the way I'd like, as there are going to be waves that introduce white, black, and various other colours. I guess I could do something similar to what I want using a calm lake though where the blue colour is more consistent. Hmmm....Yea that's a good idea, thanks.

Hi

Just a thought that FX Visual Studio has a great selection of garbage mattes you can physically add to the water area to matte it out so that would probably be the best route!!

Take a look at the tutorials on the FXHome website and I'm sure there is one there on exactly what you need to do.

I'm not too sure if VMS can crop an event like Vegas Pro can??? but if you can do it then just crop your required footage to what you need and overlay it on top of the ocean footage so you get the beach then your overlay track.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Softweigh View Post
    Just a thought that FX Visual Studio has a great selection of garbage mattes you can physically add to the water area to matte it out so that would probably be the best route!!

Take a look at the tutorials on the FXHome website and I'm sure there is one there on exactly what you need to do.
    Nice, I'll have a look at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Softweigh View Post
    I'm not too sure if VMS can crop an event like Vegas Pro can??? but if you can do it then just crop your required footage to what you need and overlay it on top of the ocean footage so you get the beach then your overlay track.
    Well, you can Crop but maybe you are thinking of the Bezier Masking that VPro has?

I suppose you could add a garbage matte to the upper track to COVER the sea areas; render this and THEN CK-out in a further render.

Thanks for the replies. I shall take a look at FX Visual Studio and see if it helps.