Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SVS v9 Platinum - Working with the black border

1. Default SVS v9 Platinum - Working with the black border

Hi again,

I need help getting my head around getting the most out of working with the workspace.

It seems that whatever images/clips I add to the editing tracks, there is always a black (invisible) border around the central image. So much so that when I try to pan, move the item around the workspace, I can never UTILISE the whole of the workspace area.

Can anyone help me work out how to understand what I need to do to move items around the workspace and use every pixel area visible?

I.e. At the very basic level -

I have a project 1680x1050. I have an image about 300x180. If I get it up on the Event Pan/Crop screen, I can zoom right out and make the item smaller/bigger. But when I settle on size, and try to move it around the screen, it doesnt display to the extermities. Is there a paramter that must be changed somewhere? Or is it a case of understanding the process and relation between the size of clips/images and the workspace?

Hope thats clear... if not pls ask. Any help will be appreciated!

Im using Sony Vegas Studio Platinum v9.

Cheers
    2Cs

Blog Entries

Not entirely sure what you're getting at.
    Are you doing your moving around in the Event Pan & Crop window or elsewhere (eg Track Motion).
    When you say you "settle on a size", what exactly do you mean? Are you then closing something to do this "settling" or what?
    A screen grab would be really useful.
    Tim

3. Default

Image 1 shows what I mean. As you can see the image is cropped when I try to move it to the far left flank.

I think Ive sussed out part of my problem understanding

Its basically when in the : Event Pan & Crop window

Looks like by unchecking the SOURCE-Maintain Aspect parameter I can dragg it to the end. However, it previews all skewy.

EDIT:

My problem is that I want to be able to utilise the full workspace area, but not have my images and clips been seen skewy. Unfortunately setting MAINTAIN-ASPECT to NO means that they do appear all skewed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CamCoat; 07-02-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Blog Entries

I THINK I may know what you're getting at. In simple terms, if you import an image that's taller than it is wide and then crop it, you get black borders either side, even when you crop/pan such that the image should exend beyond that. Am I right?

What you need to do is set the width and height equal to your project settings (you can use a preset of 4:3 or 16:9. Then with the apect ratio LOCKED you can resize and the image will always fill the whole of the display area (unless, of course, you move beyond the actual edge of the original image)

Unless I've totally misunderstood, of course...
    Tim

You have imported a non-16:9 piece of media INTO a 16:9 project. If you HAD imported 16:9 media in the 16:9 project you would NOT be asking this question.

So, what's to be done?

I would start over and produce, what in essence you already have - an almost 4:3 squarish piece of graphics - and lay THAT onto a 16:9 plate in your favourite Graphics package. Then you would KNOW you are getting ALL of the material you can AT the screen ratio you have set your Project. I say this because all that detail needs to be seen - yes?

Pan/Crop does just that. It Pans and Crops. But like a "real" camera if it ain't in shot it WILL disappear of to one side. This way you get to have ALL your square-ish material front and centre. Yes you WILL have black bars at the edge, but at least you KNOW you have the option to then zoom- or crop-in.

Sorry, back to basics for you.

6. Default

Okay thx guys/gals - further assistance needed.

Basically I want to build a wall of images/cips something like 10x16 on the screen and then use different transitions and fx to overlap other images over them.

But Ive only been using SVS for a few mths. Came over from the easy but lacklustre Pinnacle Studio.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CamCoat View Post
    Basically I want to build a wall of images/cips something like 10x16 on the screen and then use different transitions and fx to overlap other images over them.
    OK
    10 x 16 images/clips. That's 160 images on the screen at once. Not forgetting the overlays you want on top.
    Ideally you want one track per image. SO you need 160+ tracks.
    Movie Studio Platinum has - erm four.

Irrespective, I did a 5 x 5 video wall using Pro on my system (nothing state of the art but no slouch either) and whilst it handled it well, a 3 min clip took an hour and a half to render.

So. The only way you're going to be able to do this is with very careful planning. Getting the images exactly the right size.

Your first video will have the four clips to appear in positions row 1 columns 1,2,3 & 4)
    You next will have row 1 columns 5,6,7,8.
    Your next will have row 1 columns 9,10,11,12
    Your fourth will have row 1 columns 13,14,15,16

You can now create a video by using as your source the first four videos you've created.

Now do all that again for the other 9 rows.

You now have 10 videos each representing a row.

Use rows 1-4 to make another video
    Now use rows 5-8 to make the next.
    Now use two videos created immediately above, together with the video for row 9 and row 10 to make your 16 x 10 video.

Not difficult technically, but very time consuming and extremely important to get the planning and sizing of the images right.

I'll be fascinated if you try this - all credit to you if you pull it off.
    Tim

There is a free bit of software that will build walls of Images, I have it if required, mail me for a copy. There is also a script Davi Wall I think that allows wall building

As for the Image, I have had this and scratching my head many years ago, you have open the pan/scan (icon) on the clip then right click in the F and set the aspect ratio to project, then the clip can be moved about anywhere on the screen.
    Last edited by Z Cheema; 07-03-2009 at 08:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    As for the Image, I have had this and scratching my head many years ago, you have open the pan/scan (icon) on the clip then right click in the F and set the aspect ratio to project, then the clip can be moved about anywhere on the screen.
    Yep, that's what I was trying to say above. Thanks for translating
    Tim

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    I click on the pan/crop icon (within the clip). In the pan/crop WINDOW I right click on the F (guideline mesh) but dont get a "set aspect ratio project" option on the popup menu.

I get:

RESTORE
    CENTRE
    FLIP HORIZONTALLY
    FLIP VERTICALLY
    MATCH OUTPUT ASPECT
    MATCH SOURCE ASPECT

Is it one of the last two?

From what you describe that exactly what I want to be able to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast