Thread: Converting DVD to AVI

Default Converting DVD to AVI

I have a large selection of DVD's that I have burned over the years that I now want to convert to AVI Xvid format. I have tried numerous different pieces of software that I have found on the internet but all have been less than satisfactory in the quality produced and the conversion times. Ideally, what I would like to do is to provide the input file and specify what size I would like the output file to be (for example, if a video is 3.5GB in size, I would like to have it reduced to around 800MB). I am not versant in all of the various video/audio codecs, bitrates, profiles, etc. that most of the software that I have tried asks for so it is mostly trial and error. I also don't want to spend 5-6 hours converting a 1 1/2 hour movie. Has anyone found a reasonably priced software that can do this that I can test out before paying for? I also have a lot of MPG files that I would like to convert as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nelson, New Zealand

Have you had a look at Nero Recode or SuperC
    SUPER &copy don't be led into downloading AVS Video Converter, you have to dredge through the page and find the SuperC which is freeware but they don't make it easy to find, and it might link to more pages untill it lets you download, good luck
    Last edited by wandering-free; 07-02-2009 at 11:30 PM. Reason: extra instuctions

Hi JoyceAE...
    I think you have to "Xilisoft Video Converter", its very useful software for video because you can convert between any two format...

Simplest way to get hold of SUPER and avoid all of endless clicking from one page to the next is to get it here:

Click on "Download (direct link)"

Default Converting DVD to AVI (Xvid)

I have downloaded a number of movies that are around 800 MB in size and the video and audio quality are superb so I am not sure how they did it and was wondering what software they used. I have tried dozens of different software so far and have not had much success with them. I have also tried a number of DVD ripper software titles but they want to take upwards of 4-5 hours to rip a 1 1/2 hour video. The one software that I have had the most success with is Tipard Video Converter. It seems to work quite well with the old classic black & white movies but it can't seem to handle the more modern colour movies. So I will keep on looking.

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.

Blog Entries

Ditto Moon River. I use Handbrake. It's easy and... Free!

Default dvd to avi converter

Here is a tutorial explaining how to convert dvd to avi using Yasa DVD Ripper