Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice please on new PC

Default Need advice please on new PC

Hi all

New to the forum, actually not started video editing as such, I want to do it initially as a hobby, doing cartoons hopefully similar to those you see on the gaming systems, anyway, my old PC has just about had it, so in the market forr a new one, all of the components I would like would make an exceptionaly fast PC but extremely expensive and the same PC off the shelf e.g. Alienware or Cryo something or other (can't remember the exact name) are 4500 to 6500 to buy, what I want to know, is there a PC off the shelf that would do what I want and would be upgradeable, possibly around the 2000 mark.

Regards

Pozzy

Is it editing and animation you wish to do or just animation on it's own? If it's just animation then any pc with 2GB RAM will do it, it's more to do with the software than the hardware. Whereas if you wish to get into editing that depends on whether you intend to edit standard defintion video or high defintion video? For high definition you will need between 2 to 4 times the computing power of a pc used for standard def video editing.

An example of file size difference between standard def video such as an avi file has a data rate of 3.6 megabits per second whereas an avchd file - high def video - can be up to 27 megabits per second, so it can be 9 times bigger. 2000 would be a good starting point for a computer that can handle high def video.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    An example of file size difference between standard def video such as an avi file has a data rate of 3.6 megabits per second whereas an avchd file - high def video - can be up to 27 megabits per second, so it can be 9 times bigger. 2000 would be a good starting point for a computer that can handle high def video.
    Hate to contradict, Nikosony, but that's just plain wrong! AVCHD files are smaller per minute than DV-avi. (I'd love to know your source)

DV-AVI is 25Mbps (as is HDV)
    AVCHD appears to have different flavours inc 17Mbps and 19Mbps but the max is 24Mbps.

(Just Google AVCHD and Mbps and the same for DV-avi)

EDIT: Maybe your source means 3.6 megaBYTES per second? Though that comea out at 28+ Mbps
    Last edited by TimStannard; 06-29-2009 at 11:01 PM.
    Tim

Sony HDR-HC3 HDV camcorder. 25 megabit per second, I think my 27 megabit is wrong got my megabits and megabytes mixed up. But I did see this...

35 megabit camcorder

MacVideo - Camera Technology - News - JVC Pro debuts solid state camcorders for Final Cut Pro editors

I used a calculator similar to this one...

Bit Calculator - Convert bit, byte, kilobit, kilobyte, megabit, megabyte, gigabit, gigabyte and more...

Hi Nikosony

Still extremely green with all this, a lot of what you and Tim are talking about is way over my head, just seemed to be something I could get interested in, anyway, to answer your question both animation and video editing, but would still like an exceptional PC anyway.

Regrads

Pozzy

The i7's look tasty, dell are serlling xps's with them from about 750. it's somehting like that.

You could also possibly consider dual xeon's but that will be expensive. animation will take a long time to render to the more cores the better really or makes your self a render farm, not too sure how well this will work with 2 pc's but it never hurts to try things out.

Blog Entries

I failed to spot in your earlier post avchd file - high def video -and should have picke up on that.

AVCHD is a high definition format but is a different high def format from HDV (which uses identical tapes to MiniDV)

HDV has the same bitrate as MiniDV (25Mbps)
    AVCHD has bitrates of 17, 19 or 24Mbps

The interesting looking camera mentioned in the article you linked to uses a proprietary codec developed by JVC, which the company says is capable of providing highly efficient compression at up to 35 megabits per second
    so that's neither AVCHD nor HDV

... but given that it was I who mentioned HDV and AVCHD and not you, you are indeed correct that some high definition formats take up more space than standard. So we both win!

Pozzydrive, what you need to take from this is that the targets are constantly moving. Specifying something with an eye to the future is wise, but don't pay it too much attention. When the future arrives, it wil almost certainly be very different from what we anticipate.

I've been in PCs since 1988. Trust me. Realistically a worthwile upgrade means you can fit larger/replacement hard drives or more RAM at a later date. Upgrading for more "power" is generally not worthwhile. (For example I'm sitting on a 2.5 year old system on a very good Gigabyte Board (965P-DQ6) with a Socket 775 and a 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo. Despite the fact the board would run every processor available then (including many Quad core varriants), there are no processors currently in manufacture that could fit. I might source a Q6600 or Q6700 for 100 if I'm lucky, but even then I'd be faced with wiping the OS and starting from scratch [which I recommend on an annual basis anyway] Otherwise Windows will only see two cores.

So realistically, an upgrade in "power" will mean a new CPU/mobo/and probably RAM combination. That ain't an upgrade, it's a new PC!

So my advice is live for the day
    Tim

Just so you know Tim, they still make the Core 2 Processors. They are re branding them, i.e. Core2 Quad won't exist any more because it is being "replaced" by the Core 3 lineup.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smifis View Post
    Just so you know Tim, they still make the Core 2 Processors. They are re branding them, i.e. Core2 Quad won't exist any more because it is being "replaced" by the Core 3 lineup.
    Care to post some links? I can't find any.
    Tim

I doubt you'll see any links Tim, I could be wrong, maybe he will
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast