Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 Houres in 9 minutes timelapse

DomDom Guest

Default 24 Hours in 9 minutes timelapse

Simply a view from my window in fast motion. Initially it was going to be just about those wicked clouds at the beginning but then I thought I'll shoot it for a bit longer, so here we are

Last edited by DomDom; 06-28-2009 at 12:01 AM.

Blog Entries

Please post the link to the video and not the embed code.

DomDom Guest

Done, thanks

Though not original, still an interesting concept. Only problem for me, even with the good choice of music is its not an interesting enough scene to warrant over 9 minuets of my attention. I recon for Internet viewing 3 minuets would be enough. Nice picture quality and as said fitting choice of music

care to share the technical aspects of how this was shot ?

DomDom Guest

Yes I realise it's a bit long but well, the idea was to time lapse 24 hours into shortest amount of time and the 9 minutes is the best result I could achieve. If I shrank it to 3 minutes it would be simply unwatchable and I think that after all there is something going on there, clouds action and panning change all the time. To me it's still interesting even after all this time I spent watching it while editing. Night was pretty boring so I cut off most of it, that was my only compromise.

After all I'm sure there is someone out there who will enjoy all 9 minutes

Blog Entries

I would mirror the comments of enc. Too long to keep up interest if you want someone to watch to the end. Generally, if a viewer watches until the end, the overall impression would be better than if the viewer loses interest half way through. This can be a real problem if you've left the best until the last minute or so, and clearly a major issue if you're telling a story.

The lesson here is that you need to be aware of the audience. Nine minutes, for example, is a long time. If you wanted a 24 hour time lapse and 9 minutes is the best result, you need to cut something out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DomDom View Post
    After all I'm sure there is someone out there who will enjoy all 9 minutes
    I fear I might be that person!
    Whilst I'm normally one of the first to spot where stuff should be cut, I'm a real sucker for the way clouds form and fade away. I'm similar with time lapse celestial scenes though these tend to be far less interesting.

Whilst I thought the panning was clever and must have taken a lot of effort, to say nothing of changing the direction to fit the music, I found it a distraction rather than an embellishment of the video.

Similarly I did not like tha flashing colour change stuff (orange sky) early on.

Having said that I DID like the different colour treatments shown in the 3x3 grid, so I wouldn't rule out the possiblility of playing with colour.

I thought the choice of music was good, thoughthe second half worked better. I'm not a fan of vocal music unless it particularly fits (and then one has to be very careful of clichés and matching the images word for word.

So, personally it gets a thumbs up from me, though if I was asked whether I'd include it in an evenings entertainment of shot films, I'd have to decline as I accept that for the vast majority of people it's far too long.
    Tim

DomDom Guest

Thanks for your comments Tim, you pointed out all the weak bits I wasn't fully happy with neither

Whilst I thought the panning was clever and must have taken a lot of effort, to say nothing of changing the direction to fit the music, I found it a distraction rather than an embellishment of the video.

From the start I thought it would end up like that, as panning may cause that you stop looking at the clouds, but I left it in case someone complained that the action is too static. Striking the balance is the art I suppose. Second part got less movement for contrast.

Similarly I did not like the flashing colour change stuff (orange sky) early on.

Having said that I DID like the different colour treatments shown in the 3x3 grid, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of playing with colour.

Exactly, the first 'strobe' flashing I added in last moment, was hoping it will not be so noticeable. Lesson here to learn. Hands up. I would still remove it but rendering takes too much time as it was done in HD that I'm not ready for it now. One day when someone contacts me to buy it I will change it, I promise

I thought the choice of music was good, though the second half worked better. I'm not a fan of vocal music unless it particularly fits (and then one has to be very careful of clichés and matching the images word for word.

yep, no thunder nor lightning in the end

So, personally it gets a thumbs up from me, though if I was asked whether I'd include it in an evenings entertainment of shot films, I'd have to decline as I accept that for the vast majority of people it's far too long.[/QUOTE]

I've just realised it's far better watching it straight on YouTube where it is possible to switch to full screen, then in embedded forum form which is much smaller.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DomDom View Post
    I've just realised it's far better watching it straight on YouTube where it is possible to switch to full screen
    Which is exactly what I did. On my son's 24" Widescreen monitor that I've borrowed while he's in Uganda (without a camcorder cos he was worried about damaging it - bummer!)
    Tim

DomDom Guest

care to share the technical aspects of how this was shot ?[/QUOTE]

I just left camcorder for whole that time on auto settings and that's pretty much it. However it went zoom-mental just before it got dark, but in the end I cut off most of boring night shoots. The bigest job was in editing with speeding up and panning. Heavily time consuming, especially because it was done in HD and I wanted to preserve the quality.
    I know it probably would be easier to do this with regular camera but I don't have one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast