Thread: Canon & Vegas... how does it fair?

Smile Canon & Vegas... how does it fair?

Hi Guys,

I'm a complete novice to this video editing game and at first glance it appears to be a complete minefield. Forgive me if the question seems a little stupid, but this place seems to be where I'll get the answers I'm looking for.

I've just bought a Canon XH-A1 which I hope to use with the Vegas 8 vesion.

I plan to transfer my videos to DVD and hopefully get the best quality available from my kit.

Would you more experienced guys please let me know if I've chosen a decent kit as all I seem to get (naturally) from the sales peolpe is a lot of old sales hype.

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Not much wrong with your choices there. If you haven't got it, add Sony DVD Architect too - that'll help alot in your DVD creation.

Thanks for that Andy. I feel better already.

Its a bit ironic as I've recemtly retired from the BBC/ITV as a freelance film cameraman. News, documentaies etc.
    Many of the so called pro's seem to look down their noses at this stuff, I don't know why as much of what I have seen is amazing,

Have to look into that DVD stuff you mention.

Thanks again

Blog Entries

Vegas in particular is a very accomplished platform to edit with. You'll soon find your feet with it, and if not there is a wealth of help to be had in the Vegas section.

Wink

I'll need to find the Vegas section first LOL!
    I use Cakewalk Sonar 8 audio recording software so am sure I'll get my head around Vegas......Eventually

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by solway View Post
    Many of the so called pro's seem to look down their noses at this stuff, I don't know why as much of what I have seen is amazing,
    It's only natural. With any technology there will always be a snobbery associated with doing things the "old" way. Stuff that they've spent years learning and which not so long ago took hours of computer time to achieve can now be done by amateurs with a touch of a button and the results will be at least 90% as good as what the pros could achieve - at least technically.
    But the future comes with embracing the changes and accepting that some old skills are no longer relevant.
    Tim

Tim,
    Its not so much snobbery, I think there is a fear factor involved here.
    Fear of new technology from a few diehards that have been brought up and weaned on film.
    I started out at the age of 11 with my first Brownie 8mm cine camera and a deep deep passion for film making. Having a fair amount of success I eventually ended up inprofessional television production.

Now having just retired I find my film making passion is back with a vengence and now i've got all this wonderful technology to assist me.

There'll be no holding me back once this camera arrives from the supplier, on monday hopefully!

Roll on...