Thread: Editing video from Aiptek AHD200

Default Editing video from Aiptek AHD200

I'm close to purchasing Sony Vegas Platinum 9, and also when I get the money together, an Aiptek AHD200 (known as A-HD in the USA I believe) camcorder. I know that Sony Vegas is supposed to be able to import H.264 files but I've also read that their can be differences in those files from different camcorders, and some video editors are fussy about that.

Would anyone who has one of the Aiptek AHD camcorders and also the Sony Vegas software, please tell me if they've had any problems importing/editing the video?

Thanks,
    Geoff.

Blog Entries

You can download a fully working 30 day trial of all Sony Vegas products so you can try this yourself. I suspect you won;t get a 30 day trial with the Aiptek.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    You can download a fully working 30 day trial of all Sony Vegas products so you can try this yourself. I suspect you won;t get a 30 day trial with the Aiptek.
    Thanks for replying. I don't have the camera yet so cannot try it out, and I don't want to buy it until I'm sure it's going to work. I have already been trying the trail version of Sony Vegas to see if I like it.

Geoff.

Blog Entries

I'm sure the Aiptek is a lot of fun, but heed the advice of one of the reviewers on the Amazon site. If you want anything half decent to edit forget all this "HD" nonsence and get a budget MiniDV camera. The technology is stable and cheap, which means you'll get a better quality camera all round.

And HD will just show off the imperfections and inadequacies of a cheap camera more clearly.

About 600 will just about get you HD cameras that will produce usable footage that is worth editing.
    Tim

I'm sure the Aiptek is a lot of fun, but heed the advice of one of the reviewers on the Amazon site. If you want anything half decent to edit forget all this "HD" nonsence and get a budget MiniDV camera. The technology is stable and cheap, which means you'll get a better quality camera all round.

And HD will just show off the imperfections and inadequacies of a cheap camera more clearly.

About 600 will just about get you HD cameras that will produce usable footage that is worth editing.

I've been reading lots of people's opinions, and it is very hard to make a decision. Unfortunately I am very limited financially and it's not like me to get something cheap and nasty! I don't have a choice though at the moment - It's either something cheap or nothing. I have had a quick look at the MiniDV alternatives but the cheapest is still another 50GBP on top of the Aiptek.

I do take your point though, and I'm still considering my options. I can't overlook the fact that the large majority of people are saying the Aiptek is well worth it if you're on a budget and want HD, if you accept it's limitations. Many use it and create videos quite happily. I know it is very limited though, and I'm still considering what's best for me.

Thanks for your advice,
    Geoff.

Blog Entries

The important thing is you've considered it so it won't be an ill-informed decision.
    There are numerous free "conversion" programs about so it's likely that even if Vegas doesn't accept the format natively, you will be able to convert it to a falvour of HD that it will accept.
    Look forward to reading your impressions of teh camera if/when you take the plunge.
    Tim

The important thing is you've considered it so it won't be an ill-informed decision.
    There are numerous free "conversion" programs about so it's likely that even if Vegas doesn't accept the format natively, you will be able to convert it to a falvour of HD that it will accept.
    Look forward to reading your impressions of teh camera if/when you take the plunge.

Thank you, I'll certainly give it a lot more consideration. It may be another month until I can afford to get something, especially if it's more expensive than the AHD200 I was looking at. In the mean time I'll familiarise myself with Vegas and use my rather terrible quality webcam for some experimental work.

Geoff.